GOA CITY 267
the surviving edifices is the cathedral dedicated to St. Catherine by
Albuquerque, in commemoration of his entry into Goa on the day of
her festival. Built as a parochial church in 1512, it was reconstructed
in 1623 in its present majestic proportions, having been about a century
before elevated to the rank of a primatial see, which it has ever since
retained. Service is regularly held every day by the canons attached to
the cathedral. The Convent of St. Francis, originally a Muhammadan
mosque, converted into a church by the Portuguese, was the first
structure consecrated to Christian worship in Goa. Its chief portal,
curious as being the earliest of its kind in Portuguese India, has been
preserved intact to this day, though the convent itself was rebuilt in
1661. The Chapel of St. Catherine was erected in 1551 on the site of
the gate of the Muhammadan city through which Albuquerque entered.
The Church of Bom Jesus, commenced in 1594, and consecrated in
1603, is a splendid edifice, enjoying a wide renown for the magnificent
tomb holding the remains of the apostle of the Indies, St. Francis
Xavier, the events of whose life are represented around the shrine.
The Convent of St. Monica, commenced in 1606 and completed in
1627, was constructed for a community of nuns, the last of whom died
in 1885. The Convent of St. Cajetan, erected in the middle of the
seventeenth century by the Order of the Theatines, is noted for its
resemblance to St. Peter's at Rome, and is in excellent preservation.
Of the other historical edifices with which Old Goa was formerly
embellished, few traces remain to give a conception of their pristine
beauty and magnificence. The once renowned palace of the viceroys,
the spacious custom-house, and many other public buildings, have been
completely destroyed. The College of St. Roque, belonging to the
Order of Jesus, the Senate-house, the once famous Palace of the Inqui-
sition, the Church of the Miraculous Cross, the College of St. Paul,
the Hospital of St. Lazarus, the Church and Convent of St. Augustine,
as well as the college of the same name close by, the arsenal, the
chapel of the Cinco Chagas (the `five wounds'), and the ecclesias-
tical jail, are all in ruins. The sites of the vanished buildings have
been converted into coco-nut plantations, the ruins are covered with
shrubs and moss, and the streets are overrun with grass. But though
Old Goa has long since lost its civil importance, forming at present
only a suburb of Panjim, its ecclesiastical influence as the see of the
Primate of the East still remains; and, as long as it can boast of its
noble monuments of Christian piety, and retains the shrine of the great
Eastern evangelist, it will not cease to attract pilgrims from the most.
distant parts of the Catholic world.
The history of Goa city has been given in the article on Gon SET-
TLEMENT. As far back as 1759, the ruin of the old city was complete.
The Governor changed his residence to Panjim, near the mouth of the