The total expenditure on education in 1903-4 was Rs. 3,90,000, of
which Rs. 1,62,000 was derived from fees. Of the total, 58 per cent.
was devoted to primary instruction.
The District possesses to hospitals and 2o dispensaries main-
tained from Local funds, with accommodation for 163 in-patients. In
1903 the number of cases treated was 310, 114, of whom 1,936 were in
patients, and 8,520 operations were performed. The expenditure was
Rs. 67,000, of which all but 6 per cent. was derived from Local and
municipal funds. Of private institutions the most important is the
Killock Home for Lepers, opened at Ramachandrapuram in igoo by
the Canadian Baptist Mission. It has now 70 inmates.
During 1903-4 the number of persons successfully vaccinated was
35-1 per i,ooo of the population, or slightly above the average for the
Presidency. Vaccination is compulsory in the three municipalities
and in ten of the Unions.
[Further particulars will be found in the Distract Manual by H.
Morris (1878), and the District Gazetteer (igo6).]
Godavari River.-A great river of Southern India, which runs
across the Deccan from the Western to the Eastern Ghats ; for sanctity,
picturesque scenery, and utility to man, surpassed only by the Ganges
and the Indus ; total length about goo miles; estimated area of drain-
age basin, 112,000 square miles. The source of the river is on the side
of a hill behind the village of TRIMBAK, in Nasik District, Bombay,
only about 50 miles from the shore of the Indian Ocean. At this
spot is an artificial reservoir reached by a flight of 6go steps, into
which the water trickles drop by drop from the lips of a carven image,
shrouded by a canopy of stone. From first to last the general direction
of the river is towards the south-east. It passes by Nasik town, and
then separates Ahmadnagar District from the State of Hyderabad, its
total course in the Bombay Presidency being about loo miles. Above
Nasik it flows along a narrow rocky bed, but farther east the banks are
lower and more earthy. Fifteen miles below Nasik it receives, on the
right, the Darna from the hills of Igatpuri, and 17 miles farther down,
on the left, the Kadva from Dindori. At the latter confluence, at
Nander, the stream is dammed for irrigation. Near Nevasa it receives
on the right bank the combined waters of the Pravara and Mula,
which rise in the hills of Akola, near Harischandragarh.
After passing the old town of PAITHAN on its left bank, the Godavari
now runs for a length of about 176 miles right across the Hyderabad
State, receiving on its left bank the PCirna, which flows in near Karar-
kher in Parbhani District, and on the right the Manjra near Kondalwadi
in Nander, while near Dharmsagar in the Chinnýr tdluk of Adilabad
District it receives, again on the right, the Maner. Below Sironcha it
is joined by the PRANHITA, conveying the united waters of the WARDHA