Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 12, p. 321.


Graphics file for this page
GOND WANA
321
a daily average of 93 prisoners in 1903-4. Besides a Girasia college
at Gondal, the State contains 85 schools with 6,803 pupils. In 1903-4
there were 2 hospitals and 4 dispensaries, affording relief to 46,ooo
persons, of whom 1,300 were in-patients. In the same year 3,8oo
persons were vaccinated.
Gondal Town.-Capital of the State of the same name in Kathi-
awar, Bombay, situated in 21° 57′ N. and 70° 53′ E., on the western
bank of the Gondali river. Population (1go1), 19,592, including
12,995 Hindus, 4,289 Musalmans, and 2,239 Jains. Gondal is con-
nected with Rajkot, Jetpur, Junagarh, Dhoraji, Upleta, and Manekwara
by good roads. It is a railway station on the branch line between
Rajkot-Jetalsar on the Bhavnagar-Gondal-Junagarh-Porbandar Railway.
The town is fortified. It contains two public gardens, an orphanage,
an asylum, a hospital, and a Girasia college.
Gondia.-Village in the Tirora tahsil of Bhandara District, Central
Provinces, situated in 21° 28′ N. and 80° 13′ E., on the Bengal-Nagpur
Railway, 81 miles from Nagpur and 601 from Bombay. Gondia is the
junction for the new Satpura narrow-gauge railway which runs to Jubbul
pore across the Satpura plateau. Population (1901), 4,457. It is one
of the two leading goods stations in Bhandara District, receiving the
produce of the surrounding area of Bhandara and of the lowlands of
the adjoining Balaghat District. A large weekly grain market is held
here. The greater part of the town stands on Government land,
and the ground rents realized are credited to a fund for sanitary
purposes, which is supplemented by a house rate. A branch station
of the American Pentecostal Mission at Raj-Nandgaon has recently
been established. Gondaa contains Hindi and Marathi primary schools,
and a dispensary.
Gondwana.-A name given by the Muhammadans to a tract of
country now in the Central Provinces and Central India. Abul Fazl
describes Gondwana or Garha Katanka as bounded on the east by
Ratanpur, a dependency of Jharkhand or Chota Nagpur, and on the
west by Malwa, while Parma lay north of it, and the Deccan south.
This description corresponds fairly closely with the position of the
SATPUKA plateau, as the Chhattisgarh plain on the east belonged to
the Ratanpur kingdom, incorrectly designated as a dependency of
Chota Nagpur, while part of the Narbada valley was included in the
old Hindu kingdom of Malwa. Little or nothing was known of
Gondwana at this time; and indeed as late as 1853 it was stated before
the Royal Asiatic Society that `at present the Gondwana highlands
and jungles comprise such a large tract of unexplored country that they
form quite an oasis in our maps.' Gondwana to the Muhammadans
signified the country of the Gonds, the Dravidian tribe at present
bearing that name. How they obtained it is a question which has
VOL. X11. Y
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html