Govindgarh Town (2).-Head-quarters of a tahsil of the same name
in the State of Alwar, Rajputana, situated in 27° 30′ N. and 77° E., 25
miles east of Alwar city. Population (1901), 4,932. The fort, which
is about half a mile to the north of the town, was built by Maharao
Raja Bakhtawar Singh in 1805, and is remarkable for the extent of its
moat. The town possesses a well-paved bazar, a post office, and a
vernacular school. The lighting and sanitary arrangements are in the
hands of a municipal committee, the average income, chiefly derived
from octroi, and expenditure being about Rs. 3,ooo and Rs. 1,700
respectively. The Govindgarh tahsil is the smallest in the State, and
is situated in the east, forming a peninsula almost entirely surrounded
by Bharatpur territory. In rgol it contained the town and 50 villages,
and had a population of 20,646, of whom nearly one-third were Meos.
The tahsillies in MEWAT, and was consequently, under Mughal rule,
included in the Szabah of Agra. At the beginning of the nineteenth
century the Khanzadas were in possession ; but in 1803 they were
ousted by Maharao Raja Bakhtawar Singh with the aid of the Marathas,
and the tahsil has since belonged to Alwar.
Govindpur.-Subdivision and village in Manbhtzm District, Bengal.
Gowhatty.-Subdivision and town in Kâmrap District, Eastern
Bengal and Assam. See GAUHATI.
Grama.-Village in the east of the Hassan tdluh of Hassan District,
Mysore, situated in 12° 59′ N. and 76° 13′ E., 7 miles east of Hassan
town. Population (lgoi), 1,936. The place was founded in the
twelfth century by Santala Devi, queen of the Hoysala king Vishnu-
vardhana, and called at first Santigrama. A municipality formed in,
1893 was converted into a Union in 1904. The income and expen-
diture during the eight years ending 1901 averaged Rs. 8oo and
Rs. 700. In 1903-4 they were Rs. 8oo and Rs. 2,000.
Grey Canals.-A system of inundation canals in the Punjab, taking
off from the south bank of the Sutlej and irrigating the low-lying tracts of
Ferozepore District. They take their name from Colonel L. J. H. Grey,
under whose orders, as Deputy-Commissioner of the District, they were
constructed. The work was begun in 1875-6, when r 1 canals were
made; the number was increased to 13 in 1883; and in 1885, after
the incorporation of the Fazilka tahsil in Ferozepore District, two of
the canals were remodelled and extended so as to irrigate that tahsil.
In addition to these, a new canal, named Kingwah, has just been com-
pleted at a cost Of 1•7 lakhs. The 14 canals as they now exist vary in
length from 28 to 107 miles, in bed-width from 30 to 8o feet, and in
discharge from 283 to 640 cubic feet per second. Their total length is
1,034 miles, and their aggregate discharge 6,340 cubic feet per second
Being inundation canals, they run only when the Sutlej is at a sufficient