Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 12, p. 346.


Graphics file for this page
346 GUDALUR TALUK
lying between 11° 23′ and 11° 40′ N. and 76° 14′ and 76° 36′ E., at
a much lower elevation than the rest of the District. It comprises the
South-east Wynaad, which was transferred from Malabar in 1877, and
the coffee-growing area called the OUCHTERLONY VALLEY. It now
contains twelve revenue villages, including GTJDAI.f R, the head-
quarters; but most of the land is held on tenures similar to those in
Malabar under the Tirumalpad of NILAnIBiTR In that District. The
inhabitants chiefly talk Malayalam or an admixture of that language
and Tamil. The tciluk has lost its importance since the decline of
the coffee and gold- and mica-mining industries, and is now rapidly
reverting to jungle, except in a few areas like Nellakotta and
Ouchterlony Valley, where coffee and tea still hold their own against
the insidious lantana. Pandaltir and Cherumbadi, which, with
DEVnLA, were once important mining settlements, have now dwindled
to a few native huts. The tdluk is most sparsely inhabited, containing
on an area of 280 square miles a population (1901) of 21,139, or only
75 persons per square mile. In 1891 the population was 25,397,
the decline being due to the restriction of the industrial enterprises
above mentioned. The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 amounted
to Rs. 53,000.
Gudalur Village.-Head-quarters of the tdluk of the same name
in the N´lgiri District, Madras, situated in 11° 30′ N. and 76° 30′ E.,
at the foot of the Gfidaldr ghdt, on the road from Ootacamund to
Calicut and at the junction of the main roads from Mysore and
Malabar. Population (1901), 2,558. Gddal¨r is the head-quarters of
the deputy-tahsilddr, who is also a District Munsif, and of a sheristaddr
magistrate, who is also sub-registrar. When the coffee and gold-mining
industries were flourishing the place was of considerable importance,
but with their decline it has rapidly decayed. The weekly market
is, however, well attended, most of the articles sold being imported
from Mysore, and a good deal of traffic between Mysore and Ootaca-
mund passes through it. The place contains Protestant and Roman
Catholic churches, a hospital with a European ward, post and police
offices, and two travellers' bungalows.
Guddguddapur (or Devargud).--Town and place of pilgrimage in
the Ran´bennur hiluka of Dharwar District, Bombay, situated in 14°
40′ N. and 75° 35′ E. Population (1900, 947. The fair held in
October in honour of Mallari or Siva is attended by between 5,000
and 1o,ooo pilgrims. There is a temple of Mallari, who is reputed to
have become incarnate as Bhairav and thus to have slain the demon
Malla. His attendants, known as Vaggyas, are alleged to be descended
from dogs incarnate as men. They receive the pilgrims dressed in
tiger- or bear-skins, perform numerous antics, and receive gifts of a few
pies from each pilgrim. In 1878 Guddguddapur was constituted
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html