a temporary municipality. The income, derived from a pilgrim and
a shop tax, averaged Rs. 662 during the decade ending igo1. In
1903-4 the income was Rs. 174.
Gudiatham.-Taluk and town in North Arcot District, Madras.
Gudivada.-Subdivision and tczluk of Kistna District, Madras, lying
between 16° 16′ and 16° 47′ N. and 80° 55′ and 81° 23′ E., and com-
prising within its limits the greater part of that curious depression
between 'the alluvial deposits of the Kistna and Godavari rivers
which is known as the COLAIR LAKE. It has an area of 595 square
miles. The population in igo1 was 151,916, compared with 118,310
in 18qī. The demand on account of land revenue and cesses in
1903-4 amounted to Rs. 1o,i9,ooo. Most of the tiiluk is under
cultivation, being irrigated from the canals of the Kistna system.
GUDIVADA TOWN, the head-quarters, is a Union with a population of
6,719, and there are 212 villages. A deputy-tahsilddr is stationed
at Kaikalūr on the southern edge of the Colair Lake.
Gudivada Town.-Head-quarters of the tāluk of the same name in
Kistna District, Madras, situated in 16° 27′ N. and 81° E. Population
(1901), 6,719. It is a place of great antiquity. A ruined Buddhist
sAipa is to be seen in the middle of it, in which four caskets are said
to have been found. To the west is a fine Jain statue in good
preservation. Farther west is a mound, the old site of the town.
Here massive pottery, beads of all kinds in metals, stone, and glass,
and Andhra lead coins have been found.
Gudiyattam Taluk.-Tāluk in the south of North Arcot District,
Madras, lying between 12° 42′ and 13° 5′ N. and 78° 35′ and 79°
16′ E., with an area of 447 square miles. It contains one town,
GUDIYATTAM (population, 21,335), the head-quarters; and 183 villages.
Population rose from 176,709 in i8g1 to 195,665 in 1901. The demand
for land revenue and cesses in 1903-4 amounted to Rs. 3,27,500.
The hhcluk is a long strip of land lying on the northern bank of the
Pālār, opposite to the Vellore Nluk on the other side of the river.
The Eastern Ghāts throw many spurs into its western portion, which
is thus mainly composed of hills interspersed with valleys. The soil
is generally good, being a mixture of sand and red clay.
Gudiyattam Town.-Head-quarters of the tāluk of the same name
in North Arcot District, Madras, situated in 12° 58′ N. and 78° 53′ E.,
3 miles north of the Pālār and about the same distance from the
railway station, which is 96 miles from Madras and 318 from Calicut.
Population (1901), 21,335. Gudiyāttam was constituted a municipality.
in 1885. The municipal receipts and expenditure during the ten years
ending 1902-3 averaged Rs. 16,6oo and Rs. 16,ooo respectively. In
1903-4 the income was Rs. 2r,2o0, the chief source being the house