372 GUJRAT DISTRICT
Of 34 per cent. on the last payment under the first revised settlement.
The average assessment on `dry' land is 14 annas (maximum Rs. 1-4,
minimum 8 annas), and on ` wet' land Rs. 1-13 (maximum Rs. 2-8,
minimum Rs. 1-2). The average size of a proprietary holding is 3.6
The collections of land revenue alone and of total revenue are shown
below, in thousands of rupees
1880-1. 1890-1. I igoo-1. .
Land revenue . 5,91 6,10 7,76 8,53
Total revenue . 7,51 8,11 io,6o 11,85
The District contains four municipalities, GUJRAT, JALALPUR, KUNJAH,
and DINGA. Outside these, local affairs are managed by the District
board, whose income, mainly derived from a local rate, amounted in
1903-4 to Rs. 91,400. The expenditure was Rs. 94,000, of which
public works formed the largest item.
The regular police force consists of 338 of all ranks, including
38 municipal police, under a Superintendent, who is usually assisted by
z inspectors. The village watchmen number 907. There are eleven
police stations. The District jail at head-quarters has accommodation
for 118 prisoners.
Gujrât stands twenty-second among the twenty-eight Districts of the
Province in regard to the literacy of its population, of whom 3•3 per
cent. (6•1 males and 3 females) could read and write in 1901. The
proportion is highest in the Phâlia tahsil. The number of pupils under
instruction was 3,764 in 1880-1, 9,553 in 1890-1, 9,725 in 1900-1, and
11,218 in 1903-4. In the last year the District possessed 6 secondary
and 74 primary (public) schools, and 3 advanced and 256 elementary
(private) schools, with 378 girls in the public, and 733 in the private
schools. Gujrât town has two Anglo-vernacular high schools, one
kept up by Government as a model school, and one by the Scottish
Mission. The mission also has schools for low-caste children at
Gujrât, Ldla Mnsa, Shâdiwâl, and Jalâlpur. The total expenditure on
education in 1903-4 was Rs. 6o,ooo, of which Provincial funds con-
tributed Rs. 6,ooo, municipalities Rs. 8,ooo, and the District fund
Rs. 19,ooo. Fees brought in Rs. 19,ooo.
Besides the civil hospital at Gujrât, the District contains ten out-
lying dispensaries. In 1904 the number of cases treated was 152,575,
of whom 548 were in-patients, and 6,645 operations were performed.
The expenditure was Rs. 16,ooo, the greater part of which was con-
tributed by the District fund. The Scottish Mission maintains two
hospitals : the Dow Memorial Hospital for females at Gujrat, with a