Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 12, p. 373.


Graphics file for this page
GUJRAT TOWN
373
branch at Daulatnagar ; and the other at Jalālpur, with a branch at
Ląla Mūsa.
The Vaccination Act is in force only in Gujrāt and Jalālpur towns.
The number of persons successfully vaccinated in 1903-4 was 23,770,
representing 31.7 per r,ooo of the population.
[Captain H. S. P. Davies, District Gazetteer (1892-3); Settlement
Report (1893) ; and Customary Law of the Gujrāt -District (1891).]
Gujrat Tahsil.-Tahsil of Gujrāt District, Punjab, lying between
32° 24′ and 32° 53′ N. and 73° 47′ and 74° 29′ E., with an area of
554 square miles. Its south-east border rests on the Chenāb. The
northern portion consists of an undulating plateau, scored by hill
torrents. The plateau sinks into the plain about the latitude of
Gujrāt town, and is bordered by a narrow strip of low-lying alluvial
land along the Chenāb. The population in 19or was 309,887, com
pared with 308,861 in 1891. The tahsil contains the towns of GUJR,~T
(population, 19,410), the head-quarters, JA1.nLPUR (ro,64o), and
KUNJAH (6,431) ; and 518 villages. The land revenue and cesses
amounted in 1903-4 to 4•4 laklls.
Gujrat Town.-Head-quarters of the District and tahsil of Gujrāt,
Punjab, situated in 32° 34′ N. and 74° 5′ E., on the main line of the
North-Western Railway, about 5 miles north of the present bed of the
Chenab. It is distant by rail 1,335 miles from Calcutta, 1,362 miles
from Bombay, and 817 miles from Karachi. Population (igoi), 19,410.
Tradition ascribes the foundation of the town, under the name of Udan-
āgri, to Bachan Pal, a Rājput, in the fifth century s.c., and avers that it
was refounded about A.D. 1zo by Ran! Gujrān, a daughter-in-law of the
famous Raja Rasalu of Sialkot. Another tradition declares it to have
been refounded by one Ali Khan, who may be the Alakhāna who was
overthrown between A. D. 883 and 902 by Sankara Varman of Kashmir.
The town stands on an ancient site, formerly occupied by two suc-
-essive cities, the second of which Sir Alexander Cunningham supposed
to have been destroyed in 1303 by the Mongols, in one of their incur-
;ions during the reign of Alā-ud-din Khilji. More than zoo years later,
3her Shah turned his attention to the surrounding country, but it was
probably Akbar who founded the existing town. Though standing in
.he midst of a Jat neighbourhood, the fort was first garrisoned by
sūjars, and took the name of Gujrāt Akbarābad. Remains of the
:V1ughal period still exist. During the reign of Shah Jahan, Gujrāt
)ecame the residence of a famous saint, Pir Shah Daula, and the wealth
lerived from the offerings of disciples was freely spent on the adornment
)f the town. The viaduct he built over a torrent bed close to the town
s still in a good state of preservation. The Gakhar chief, Mukarrab,
xhan of Rawalpindi, held Gujrāt for twenty-five years, until his expul
ion in 1765 by the Sikhs under Sardar Gūjar Singh Bhangi. Gujrāt
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html