Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 12, p. 394.


Graphics file for this page
394
GURDISPUR DISTRICT
then occupied Bat‚la, Din‚nagar, Kalanaur, Srigovindpur, and other
places, the rest of the Bari Doab south of Din‚nagar falling into the
hands of the Kanhayas, while west of the Ravi the .Bhangi confederacy
rose to power. The rival confederacies soon fell out, and a struggle
for supremacy ensued between the Ramgarhiŗs and Kanhay‚s ; the
Bhangis, who supported the former, lost their power in these parts in
1774, and Jassa Singh himself was expelled by the Kanhayas. He
returned in 1783, but again lost Batala to the Kanhay‚s in 1786;
and two years after his death, in 18o6, all the remaining possessions
of the Ramgarhia confederacy were annexed by Ranjit Singh. The
Kanhay‚ estates were confiscated in 181 r, and later on Batala and its
dependencies were assigned to Sher Singh, a putative son of Ranjit
Singh by his Kanhay‚ wife, Mahtab Kaur. Din‚nagar was a favourite
resort of Ranjit Singh, and it was there that in 1838 he received the
Macnaghten mission which negotiated the proposed alliance for placing
Shah Shuja on the throne of Kabul.
Pathankot and a few neighbouring villages in the plains, together
with all the hilly portion of the District, formed part of the country
ceded by the Sikhs to the British after the first Sikh War in 1846.
Under the original distribution of the new territory they were attached
to Kangra; but after the final annexation in 1849, the upper portion
of the Bari Doab became a separate District, with its head-quarters
at Bat‚la. In 1852 the head-quarters were removed to Gurdaspur,
and in 1853 the District received an addition by the transfer from
Sialkot of the Shakargarh tahsil. No outbreak took place during the
Mutiny, in spite of the large number of Hindustanis then employed
on the head-works of the canal ; but the ford of Trimmu was the scene
of the battle at which Nicholson, after his famous forced march from
Amritsar, intercepted and destroyed the Sialkot mutineers. In 1853
the site for the new sanitarium of Dalhousie, together with the strip
of hill road connecting it with the plains, was acquired by the British
Government by purchase from the Chamba State. It was transferred
from Kangra in 186o, and in 1862 the further transfer of a strip of hill
country between the Ravi and the Chakki brought the District into its
present shape.
Recent authorities locate the Sangala of Alexander's historians, the
stronghold of the Kathaei, in Gurdaspur District, but the exact site has
not been determined. If this theory be correct, the twelve altars set
up by Alexander to mark the extreme limit of his advance were
probably erected in the Beas lowlands, somewhere near the meeting-
point of the three Districts of Gurdaspur, Hoshiarpur, and K‚ngra.
The antiquities of PATH,~NKOT are dealt with in the article on that
town. It is impossible to fix the date of the rock-temples at Mukh-
eshwar (Mukesar) on the Ravi, which legend attributes to the Pandavas.
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html