GURGAON DISTRICT 401
contributed Rs. 7,ooo, and Local funds Rs. 27,000, while fees brought
in Rs. 28,ooo.
Besides the Gurdāspur civil dispensary, the District has twelve
outlying dispensaries. These in 1904 treated a total of 208,766 out-
patients and 1,537 in-patients, and 7,268 operations were performed.
The income and expenditure were Rs. 30,ooo, Local and municipal
funds contributing Rs. 12,ooo and Rs. I5,ooo respectively.
The number of successful vaccinations in 1903-4 was 28,64r, repre-
renting 3o.6 per r,ooo of population. The Vaccination Act is in force
[L. W. Dane, District Gazetteer (1891-2) ; Settlement Report (1892) ;
1nd Customary Law of the Main Tribes in the Gurdāspur District
Gurdaspur Tahsil.-Tahsil of Gurdāspur District, Punjab, lying
)etween 31° 48′ and 32° 13′ N. and 75° 6′ and 75° 36′ E., with an area
)f 496 square miles. The Beds bounds it on the east, and the Ravi on
he north-west. Along each of these rivers is a strip of alluvial country.
the plateau between the two is well wooded and fertile, and is irrigated
)y the Bari Dodb Canal. The population in rgo1 was 258,379, com-
?ared with 252,092 in r891. It contains the towns of GURDASPUR
population, 5,764), the head-quarters, DĪNANAGAR (5,191), and
KALANAUR (5,251) ; and 668 villages. The land revenue.. and cesses
n 1903-4 amounted to Rs. 5,I7,ooo. The woollen mills of Dhariwal
n this tahsil are well-known throughout India.
Gurdaspur Town.-Head-quarters of the District and tahsil of the
game name, Punjab, situated in 32° 3′ N. and 75° 25′ E., on the Amrit-
ar-Pathankot branch of the North-Western Railway; distant by rail from
,alcutta 1,252 miles, from Bombay 1,283, and from Karachi 839 miles.
'opulation (1901), 5,764. The town stands high on the watershed
)etween the Ravi and the Beds. The fort was built by the Sikh leader
3anda during the revolt which followed the death of the emperor
3ahadur Shah in 1712. When hard pressed by the Mughal forces
3anda retired into the fort, but was starved out. His followers were
zassacred wholesale, while he himself was carried in a cage to Delhi
nd tortured to death. The fort now contains a monastery of Saraswat
~rdhmans. The town was selected as the head-quarters of the District
1 1852 on account of its central position. The municipality was
reated in 1867. The income and expenditure during the ten years
nding 1902-3 averaged Rs. 19,400. In 1903-4 the income was
',s. 18,6oo, chiefly from octroi (Rs. 4,4oo) and grants from Govern-
Ient (Rs. 6,1oo); and the expenditure was Rs. 'Moo. The town has
the trade, being overshadowed by the commercial centre of Batāla,
contains an Anglo-vernacular high school and a dispensary.
Gurgaon District.-District in the Delhi Division of the Punjab,
VOL. XII. D d