State contained 188 schools, including 2 colleges with high schools
attached, 16 Anglo-vernacular schools, and 170 village schools. The
present Maharaja has always shown a special interest in the spread of
education among girls as well as among boys. The ordinary educa-
tional institutions in 1902-3 included two Arts colleges at Lashkar and
Ujjain with high schools attached to them, a high school at Morar, and
323 village schools. Besides these, many special schools have been
opened, including a service school for training officials, a Sardārs'
school and a Sardars' daughters' school for the children of State
Sardars, a military school, and engineering and other special classes.
Gwalior stands fairly high as regards the literacy of its population, of
whom 24 per cent. (4 males and oi females) were able to read and
write in 1901. The total number of pupils in 1902-3 was 3,050, of
whom 850 were girls, and the total expenditure was 2-4 lakhs. English
education is chiefly confined to the Brahmans, Marathas, Rajputs,
Muhammadans, and Jains. The Gwalior Gazette, published weekly,
is an official publication containing State orders and general news
from other newspapers.
A Medical department was first organized in 1887, and since that
date hospitals and dispensaries have been opened in various parts of
the State, with accommodation for 380 in-patients. In 1903 the
number of cases treated was 258,394, including 3,398 in-patients, and
11,413 operations were performed. A women's ward is attached to the
Jayaji Rao Hospital at Lasbkar, in connexion with which a class for
midwifery is carried on. The total cost of the department in r902-3
was 1.6 lak.hs.
Vaccination is regularly carried out and has increased rapidly. In
r903 the number of persons successfully vaccinated was 69,ooo,
representing 23 per 1,ooo of the population.
(J. Grant Duff: History of the Mahrattas, 3 vols. (1826).-H. G.
Keene : Madhava Rao Sindhia (Oxford, 1891).-H. Compton :
Military Adventurers of Hindustan (1892).-T. D. Broughton : Letters
written in a Mahratta Camp (1813, new ed. 1892).-Kaye and Malleson
History of the Indian Mutiny, vols. iii and v.]
Gwalior Gird.-District of the Gwalior State, Central India, sur-
rounding the city of Lashkar, and lying between 25° 44′ and 26° 25′ N.
and 77° 45′ and 78° 43′ E., with an area of x,513 square miles. It is
bounded, except on the east and south-east, where it meets the borders
of Datiā State, by other districts of Gwalior. The district, except for
an outcrop of Vindhyan sandstone near Gwalior city, consists of a level
alluvial plain. It is traversed by no rivers of any size, but the Sind
flows along the eastern boundary. The population in 1901 was 323,693,
giving a density of 246 persons per square mile. The district contains
three towns, LASHKAR (population, including the Brigade, ro2,626),