2 GYOBINGAUK TOWNSHIP
Gyobingauk Township.-Township of Tharrawaddy District,
Lower Burma, lying between 18° 7′ and 18° 32′ N. and 95° 28′ and
96° 1′ E., with an area of 431 square miles. Like most of the town-
ships of the District, it is traversed north and south by the railway, and
abuts in the east on the Pegu Yoma, its western areas being a level
plain. The population was 84,327 in 1891, and 91,040 in 1901. It
contains two towns, ZIGON (population, 2,074) and GYO1i1NGAUK ;
and 411 villages. The area cultivated in 1903-4. was 189 square miles,
paying RS. 2,95,000 land revenue.
Gyobingauk Town.--Head-quarters of the township of the same
name in Tharrawaddy District, Lower Burma, situated in 18° 14′ N. and
95° 40′ E., on the Rangoon-Prome Railway, 109 miles from Rangoon.
Population (1901), 6,030. The town suffers from scarcity of water in
the dry season, but so far no systematic water-supply scheme has been
started. It is one of the most important rice-trading centres on the
Rangoon-Prome line of railway. It possesses one Anglo-vernacular
and two vernacular private schools, two of which are aided by the
municipality. Gyobingauk was constituted a municipality in 1894.
The receipts and expenditure of the municipal fund to the end of
igoo-1 averaged RS. 24,ooo and RS. 22,ooo respectively. In 1903-4
the income was Rs. 41,000, including house and land tax (Rs. 3,400),
and tolls on markets and slaughter-houses (Rs. 23,2oo). The expen-
diture in the same year was Rs. 45,000, the principal items being
conservancy (Rs. 6,200), roads (Rs. 6,9oo), and hospitals (Rs. 3,000).
The municipal hospital has eighteen beds.
Hab.-River on the western frontier of Sind, Bombay, which forms
in the latter part of its course the boundary between British territory and
Baluchistan. It rises opposite the Porāli river at the northern end of
the Pab range, flows south-east for 25 miles, then dire south for 50 miles,
and finally south-west, till it falls into the Arabian Sea near Cape
Monze, in 24° 54′ N. and 66° 42′ E., after a total length of about
240 miles. Except the Indus and the Gāj, it is the only permanent
river in Sind. Its principal tributaries are the Saruma, the Samotri,
and the Wira Hab. As far as the Phusi pass the course is confined
and narrow. Thereafter it gradually widens, and for some 50 miles
from its mouth is bordered by fine pasture land. Water is always to
be found in pools, but the river is not utilized for irrigation.
Habiganj Subdivision.-Subdivision in the south-west corner of
Sylhet District, Eastern Bengal and Assam, lying between 23° 59′ and
24° 41′ N. and 91° 10′ and 91° 43′ E., with an area of 952 square miles.
The subdivision forms a level plain intersected with numerous rivers
and watercourses, into the southern portion of which low hills project
from the Tippera system. The annual rainfall at Habiganj town
averages only 95 inches, which is considerably less than that recorded