Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 13, p. 26.


Graphics file for this page
26 HANSOT
Narbad‚, about 15 miles south-west of Broach city. Population
(1901), 3,925. Hansot was formerly the head-quarters of a tdluka
of the same name, acquired by the British in 1775, restored to the
Peshw‚ in 1783, and again acquired in 1803. The municipality,
established in 1889, had an average income of about Rs. 5,ooo during
the decade ending 19or. In 1903-4 its income was Rs. 4,377. The
town contains a dispensary and four schools, three (including an English
school) for boys and one for girls, attended respectively by 245 and
35 Pupils.
Hanthawaddy.-District in the Pegu Division of Lower Burma,
lying between I6° 19′ and 17° 47′ N. and 95° 45′ and 96° 45′ E.,
with an area Of 3,023 square miles. It is bounded on the north by
Tharrawaddy District ; on the east by Pegu District; and on the west
by Ma-ubin and Pyapon. The southern boundary stretches along the
Gulf of Martaban between the mouths of the Sittang and the To,
or China Bakir, rivers. In the centre and completely surrounded by
it is the separate District of RANGOON CITY, in which the District
offices are situated. The Cocos and Preparis Islands in the Bay
of Bengal form part of the District.
Hanthawaddy is a vast deltaic plain stretching up from the sea,
broken only by spurs of the Pegu Yoma, which separates the northern
portion of the District from Pegu. The spurs con
aspects. tinue as undulating ground through the Insein
.
subdivision, and rise slightly near Rangoon, where
the summit of a small hill has been levelled to form the platform
of the Shwedagon pagoda. The range appears again on the opposite
side of the Pegu river at Syriam, and is finally lost in the rocks in the
Hmawwun stream just opposite the village of Kyauktan. A similar
ridge of high land runs from Twante to Kungyangon in the west of the
District. The highest point in the Yoma has an altitude of 2,000 feet.
Here the hills are clothed with fine evergreen forests, and the scenery
is bold and interesting. Farther south the high land is covered with
fruit gardens and, near Rangoon, is being much sought after for house
sites. Excluding this portion of the District, the scenery is tame and
monotonous, consisting of rice cultivation and swamp relieved by
scrub jungle, and along the sea-coast and the numerous water-ways
by mangrove and inferior forest growth interspersed with dani planta-
tions. The coast-line is low, and at the ebb shows large dismal
stretches of mud.
The main stream is the Hlaing (known farther north as the
Myitmak‚), which enters the District at its northern end and runs
southwards through its entire length. The Hlaing, which is navigable
by native craft through the whole of its course within the limits of the
District, is joined in the neighbourhood of Rangoon by the Pegu river
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html