Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 13, p. 51.


Graphics file for this page
HARDWAR
51
miles, of which 143 were irrigated. Wells supply two-thirds of the
irrigated area, and tanks or jhils most of the remainder.
Hardoi Town.-Head-quarters of the District of the same name,
United Provinces, situated in 27° 23′ N. and 80° 7′ E., on the Oudh
and Rohilkhand Railway. Population (igor), 12,174. The native
town consists of two parts: Old Hardoi, a village standing on an
ancient mound; and the new town which has sprung up since the
head-quarters of the District were moved here after the Mutiny. The
public buildings include, besides the usual courts, male and female
dispensaries, and a fine hall containing the municipal and District
board offices, a public library, and a club. The American Methodist
Mission has its head-quarters here and supports an orphanage. Hardoi
has been a municipality since 1871. During the ten years ending lgor
the income and expenditure averaged Rs. 14,500. In 1903-4 the
income was Rs. 20,000, chiefly from a tax on professions and trades
(Rs. 7,ooo) and from rents and market dues (Rs. 7,000); and the
expenditure was Rs. 24,ooo. Hardoi is the centre of an export trade
in grain, and is also celebrated for woodwork. Two large saltpetre
factories have an annual output valued at about half a lakh. There
are four schools for boys and two for girls, with a total of 450 pupils.
Harduaganj.-Town in the District and tahsil of Aligarh, United
Provinces, situated in 27° 56′ N. and 78° 12′ E., 6 miles east of Aligarh
town. Population (igol), 6,619. Tradition assigns the foundation to
Har Deva and Balarama, brothers of Krishna; but no ancient remains
have been found. The Chauhan Rajputs say they settled here when
Delhi was taken by the Musalmans. In the eighteenth century Sabit
Khan improved the town considerably. There is a good bazar, lined
with brick-built shops; and the town contains a police station, post
office, and school. It was formerly a municipality, but is now ad-
ministered under Act XX of 1856, with an income of Rs. 1,450. The
chief imports are salt, timber, and bamboos, and the chief exports
cotton and grain. A cotton-gin has been set up which employed
106 hands in 1903. The primary school has go pupils, and there are
two girls' schools with 29 pupils.
Hardwar-Ancient town and place of pilgrimage in Saharanpur
District, United Provinces, situated in 29° 58′ N. and 78° 1′ E. Till
lgoo it was the terminus of a branch of the Oudh and Rohilkhand
Railway opened in 1886, but it is now connected by rail also with
Dehra. The pilgrim route to the shrines of Kumaun passes through
it. The population fluctuates considerably according to the number
of pilgrims visiting it, and has been: (1872) 21,555, (1881) 28,106,
(1891) 29,125, and (1901) 25,597. Of the total population in 1go1,
Hindus numbered 18,2og and Musalmans 7,119.
The place: has borne several names. According to tradition it was
E 2
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html