Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 13, p. 99.


Graphics file for this page
HAZARIBAGH TOWN 99
met from Provincial funds, Rs. 31,000 from District funds, Rs. 8oo from
municipal funds, and Rs. 23,000 from fees.
In 1903 the District contained 7 dispensaries, of which 5 had accom-
modation for 64 in-patients. The cases of 37,411 out-patients and 586
in-patients were treated during the year, and 1,570 operations were per
formed. The expenditure was Rs. I1,ooo, of which Rs. 1,200 was met
from Government contributions, Rs. 2,000 from Local and Rs. 2,400
from municipal funds, and Rs. 5,000 from subscriptions.
Vaccination is compulsory only in the Hazaribagh, Giridih, and
Chatra municipalities. In 1903-4 the number of persons successfully
vaccinated was 41,000, or 36 per 1,ooo of the population.
[Sir W. W. Hunter, Statistical Account of Bengal, vol. xvi (1877) ;
F. B. Bradley-Birt, Chotd Nag.gpur (1903).]
Hazaribagh Subdivision.-Head-quarters subdivision of Hazari-
bagh District, Bengal, lying between 23° 25′ and 24° 38′ N. and 84° 27′
and 86° 7′ E., with an area of 5,019 square miles. The subdivision
consists of three distinct tracts : a high central plateau, a lower plateau
extending along the northern boundary, and the valley of the Damodar
to the south. The population in 19or was 760,164, compared with
762,510 in 1891, the density being 151 persons per square mile. There
are two towns, HAZARIBAGH (population, 15,799), the head-quarters,
and CHATRA (10,599) ; and 5,440 villages. The subdivision contains
some interesting archaeological remains, consisting of rock temples at
MAHUDI, Buddhist inscriptions at KULUHA HILL, and an old fort at
KUNDA.
Hazaribagh Town.-Head-quarters of Hazaribagh District, Ben-
gal, picturesquely situated in 23° 59′ N. and 85° 22′ E., on the high
central plateau of the District, at an elevation of 2,000 feet above
sea-level, in the midst of a group of conical hills. Population
(1901), 15,799. The town is little more than a cluster of hamlets, with
intervening cultivation, which sprung up round the former military
bazar. Hazaribagh has been the head-quarters of the civil administra-
tion since 1834. The cantonment lies south-east of the town. The
last military force stationed here was the second battalion, 22nd
Regiment ; but owing to an outbreak of enteric fever in 1874, which
resulted in numerous deaths, the troops were withdrawn, with the
exception of a small detachment, which was chiefly designed to guard
against a possible outbreak of the prisoners in the European penitentiary
situated here. Subsequently, on the abolition of the penitentiary,
the European troops were entirely withdrawn. Hazaribagh was con.
stituted a municipality in 1869. The income during the decade ending
1901-2 averaged Rs. 1r,6oo, and the expenditure Rs. 1o,8oo. In
1903-4 the income was Rs. 17,000, of which Rs. 5,000 was derived from
a tax on persons (or property tax), and Rs. 4,000 from a conservancy
H2
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html