100 HAZARIBAGH TOWN
rate; and the expenditure was Rs. 16,ooo. The town contains the
usual public buildings. The Central jail has accommodation for 1,257
prisoners ; the principal articles manufactured are blankets and cloth.
The Hazaribagh Reformatory school has since 1882 occupied the
buildings formerly used for the European penitentiary. It is managed
by a board subject to the general control of the Director of Public
Instruction, and has cubicle accommodation for 357 boys, who are
taught weaving, agriculture, tailoring, gardening, carpentry, shoe-making,
and blacksmith's work. The chief educational institution is the Dublin
University Mission First Arts college, which was opened in 1899.
Hazro. -Town in the District and tahsil of Attock, Punjab, situated
in 33° 55′ N. and 72° 30′ E., in the middle of the Chach plain, 42 miles
by metalled road from Hathian on the grand trunk road, and 72 miles
from Lawrencepur on the North-Western Railway. Population (1901),
9,799. Hazro is a picturesque town, surrounded by rich cultivation,
and has a flourishing trade, chiefly in tobacco and sugar, controlled by
a few enterprising Hindus. The municipality was created in 1867.
The income during the ten years ending 1902-3 averaged Rs. 18,300,
and the expenditure Rs. 17,200. In 1903-4 the income was Rs.19,200,
chiefly from octroi ; and the expenditure was Rs. 35,000, including
a large investment in securities. An Anglo-vernacular middle school
and a dispensary are maintained by the municipality.
Hebli.-Town in the District and tdluka of Dharwar, Bombay,
situated in 15° 28′ N. and 75° 8′ E., 7 miles east of Dharwar town.
Population (1901), 5,294. Hebli is situated on rising ground, with an
old dilapidated fort in the centre. A weekly market is held here.
Hebli was granted in 1748 by Balaji Baji Rao Peshwa to an ancestor
of the present Sardar. In 1818 Sir Thomas Munro gave the proprietor
the neighbouring villages of Kurdapur and Talva for services to the
British Government. Close to the village are a temple of Shambhuling
and a ruined temple of Changalovadevi. The town contains a boys'
school and a girls' school.
Heggadadevankote. - South-western tdluk of Mysore District,
Mysore State, lying between 11° 44′ and 12° 12′ N. and 76° 7′ and
76° 31′ E., with an area of 620 square miles. The population in 19ol
was 61,416, compared with 61,226 in 1891. The tdluk contains two
towns, Sargur (population, 2,284) and Heggadadevankote (1,298), the
head-quarters; and 276 villages. The land revenue demand in 1903-4
was Rs. 69,ooo. The greater part is forest, especially in the west and
south, which are bordered by Coorg and the Wynaad. In the Kakan
kote State forest are the principal elephant kheddas. The east is moun-
tainous. The Kabbani flows with a tortuous course from south-west
to north-east, where it is joined by the Nugu, which runs through the
east. The latter has a dam, but the principal irrigation channel is