hemmed in, owing to the pressure of the Kachins and other hill tribes.
It was visited by Colonels Macgregor and Woodthorpe in 1884-5, by
Mr. Errol Gray in 1892-3, and by Prince Henry of Orleans in 1893.
Hlaing. ---River of Lower Burma. See RANGOON RIVER.
Hlaingbwe.-Easternmost township of Thaton District, Lower
Burma, lying between 16° 43′ and 17° 51′ N. and 97° 35′ and 98° 20′ E.
with an area of 2,035 square miles. It is separated from Siam on the
east by the Thaungyin river, and is hilly and sparsely populated, its
inhabitants being mostly Karens. The population was 28,411 in 1891,
and 43,726 in 1901, distributed in 208 villages, of which the largest
is Hlaingbwe (population, 1,208), the head-quarters, on the east bank
of the Hlaingbwe river, 108 miles from Moulmein. The area cultivated
in 1903-4 was 81 square miles, paying Rs. 49,500 land revenue.
Hlegu-South-western township of Pegu District, Lower Burma,
lying between 16° 54′ and 17° 37′ N. and 96° 1′ and 96° 25′ E., with
an area of 703 square miles. The population was 44,753 in 1891, and
49,642 in 1901. The township contains 233 villages, one of the largest
of which is Hlegu (population, 1,666), the head-quarters, situated
about 12 miles west of the railway, at the point where the Rangoon-
Pegu road crosses the Pazundaung stream. The population is-mainly
Burman, but Karens are numerous. Except at its northern end,
Hlegu is level and fertile. The area cultivated in 1903-4 was
161 square miles, paying RS. 2,57,6oo land revenue. The township
was formerly known as Paunglin, and was included in Hanthawaddy
District till 1883.
Hmawza.-Western township of the Prome subdivision of Prome
District, Lower Burma, lying in flat well-populated country between
18° 39′ and 19° 6′ N. and 95° 9′ and 95° 36′ E., with an area of
273 square miles. The population decreased from 78,962 in 1891 to
68,591 in 1901, but still averages more than 250 persons per square
mile. It is practically entirely Burman. There are 447 villages, the
head-quarters being at Hmawza (population, 580), situated on the rail
way 5 miles east of Prome town. In 1903-4 the area cultivated was
125 square miles, paying Rs. 1,25,000 land revenue. The township
was formerly known as Mahathaman.
Ho.-An aboriginal tribe of the Chota Nagpur Division, Bengal,
akin to the MUNMis, Baunijs, and Santals. The word Ho (Mundari,
Horo) means a `man' in the tribal vernacular, which differs but slightly
from Mundari. The Hos, who numbered 386,ooo in 19oi, are the
characteristic tribe of the KOLHAN Government estate in Singhbhum
District, which they conquered from the earlier inhabitants and success-
fully defended against all comers until subdued by the British in the
early part of the nineteenth century. Their prowess earned them
the sobriquet of the Larka (or `fighting') Kols. They are great sports-