men, and every year in May they meet together and beat the jungles for
game of all descriptions. Their national weapon is the bow and arrow.
The great majority of the tribe are Animists, and, unlike their allied
tribes, very few of them have as yet become converts to Christianity.
They are an exceedingly exclusive race, and are well off, as they hold
their lands on easy terms. The bride-price is absurdly high, varying
from 10 to 3o head of cattle, as compared with 3 head with the Mundas.
As a consequence, the large number of adult unmarried girls is a pecu-
liar feature in the social state of the community.
Hodal.-Town in the Palwal tahsil of Gurgaon District, Punjab,
situated in 27° 53′ N. and 77° 23′ E., on the grand trunk road between
Delhi and Muttra, and on the Delhi-Agra branch of the Great Indian
Peninsula Railway. Population (rgoi), 8,142. A cotton-ginning factory
gave employment to 61 persons in 1904, but the town has little trade.
Saltpetre is refined to a certain extent. The Jat chief, Suraj Mal, was
connected by marriage with the Jats of Hodal, and the remains of
several fine buildings erected by him still exist. The municipality
was created in 1867. The income during the ten years ending 1902-3
averaged Rs. 6,roo, and the expenditure Rs. 5,000. In 1903-4 the
income- amounted to Rs. 6,300, chiefly derived from octroi; and the
expenditure was Rs. 7,300. There is a Government dispensary.
Holalkere.-South-western tdluk of Chitaldroog District, Mysore
(which included Hosdurga as a sub-tdluk up to 19o2), lying between
13° 52′ and 14° 15′ N. and 76° 2′ and 76° 25′ E., with an area of
405 square miles. The population in 19or was 81,204, compared with
67,051 in 1891. After the reconstruction of the tdluk in 1903 the
population was 44,848. The tdluk now contains one town, Holalkere
(population, 3,418), the head-quarters; and 1:8o villages. The land
revenue demand in 1903-4 was Rs. 87,000. To the east and north are
chains of hills included in the Chiknayakanhalli. auriferous band. There
is also a group in the west, covered with low Jungle. The rest of the
tdluk is comparatively flat, with red soil, though black soil is found
in the south-west. There is good grazing towards the centre. The
drainage is mostly north-west to the Scilekere tank.
Holavanhalli.-Village in the Maddagiri tdluk of Tumkur District,
Mysore, situated in 13° 32′ N. and 77° 18′ E., on the west bank of the
Jayamangali, r8 miles north-east of Tumkur town. Population (19o1),
1,682. It was originally called Korampur; but Baire Gauda, one of the
Avati family, built the fort and named it after the chief in possession.
The estate became tributary to Vijayanagar, but was before long taken
by the chief of Dod-Ballapur, and two years later by the Subahdar
of Sira, who restored it to the family. They fortified Koratagere and
extended their territory, continuing to rule till subdued by Haidar Ali.
The municipality, formed in 1894, was converted into a Union in 1904.