178 H00GHLY TOWN
possessing a branch in Hooghly itself, a training college for school-
masters,.and the Madrasa.
Hopong (Burmese, Hopon).-A small State in the central division
of the Southern Shan States, Burma, lying; between 20° 38′ and
20° 59′ N. and 97° 6′ and 97° 23′ E., with an area (including its
small northern dependency of Hailong) of 232 square miles. It is
bounded on the north by Lawksawk and Laihsak ; on the east
by Mongpawn ; on the south by Namhkok ; and on the west by
Yawnghwe, from which it is separated by the Tamhpak stream. Towards
the north and east the country is extremely hilly, but a considerable
area of irrigated rice land lies in the valleys. Taungya rice is worked
by the Taungthus, and vegetables, tobacco, and thanatpet are cultivated.
The population in 190 i was 11,140, distributed in 17 7 villages. The
people are nearly all Buddhists, and according to language were
divided into 7,123 Taungthus, 3,775 Shans (inhabiting the plains),
and 242 speakers of other languages. The head-quarters of the
Myoza are at Hopong (population, 765), on the banks of a small
stream called the Namkyeng, and connected by road with Taunggyi.
The revenue in 1903-4 amounted to Rs. 14,000 (mainly thathameda) ;
the chief items of expenditure were Rs.6,ooo tribute to the British
Government, Rs. 3,6oo spent on pay of officials and general administra-
tion, Rs.2,6oo on public works, and Rs. 1,8oo paid into the privy
Horsleykonda (` Horsley's hill,' so named from Mr. W. D. Horsley,
a former Collector, who was the first to build on it, about 1870).-
A small hill in the Madanapalle tiluk of Cuddapah District, Madras,
situated in 13° 39′ N. and 78° 25′ E., about 9 miles from Madanapalle.
The original name of the hill was Yenuga-Mallammakonda, and local
tradition says that it was so called because in olden days a saintly lady
named Mallamma lived on the top of it and was regularly fed by
elephants (yenugulu). The hill differs from the rest of those in the
upland taluks of Cuddapah in that its summit, about 4,100 feet above
the sea, is covered with vegetation and is riot quite bare, as usual.
Here there is a pretty valley full of trees, on one side of which are
three bungalows belonging to the Forest department and the mis-
sionaries of the District. The climate is delightful, being free from
fever and eighteen degrees cooler than the low country round Cuddapah
town. The hill was for a long time supposed to be haunted by
demons; and when building on it was first begun, it was with the
greatest difficulty that workmen could be persuaded to go up. Sambar,
hog, bears, and jungh--fowl are found in its ravines, and an occasional
tiger visits it.
Hosangadi.-Village in the Coondapoor Nluk of South Kanara
District, Madras, situated in 13° 40′ N. and .74° 58′ E., at the foot of