a pass leading into Mysore. General Mathews won a brilliant victory
here in January, 1783, on his march from Coondapoor to Bednur, his
small force storming a formidable series of defences held by 17,000 men.
Remains of the defences, once known as Haidargarh, can still be seen.
Hosdurga.-South-western hiluk since 1902 (previously a sub-tciluk
of Holalkere) of Chitaldroog District, Mysore, lying between 13° 35′
and 14° 5′ N. and 76° 6′ and 76° 34′ E., with an area of 567 square
miles. The population in 1903 was 45,032. The- tdluk contains one
town, Hosdurga (population, 2,263), the head-quarters; and 252 villages.
The land revenue demand in 1903-4 was Rs. 72,ooo. The Vedavati
flows through the middle of the tdluk, with a north-easterly course,
forming on the eastern border the great Mari Kanave reservoir. The
Chiknayakanhalli auriferous band of hills runs through the east. Hos-
durga (3,226 feet), in the centre of the tdluk, is the principal hill.
Hoshangabad District.--District in. the Nerbudda Division of the
Central Provinces, lying between 21° 53′ and 22° 59′ N. and 76° 47′
and 78° 44′ E., with an area of 3,676 square miles. It is bounded on
the north by the Native States of Bhopal and Indore ; on the east
by Narsinghpur; on the west by Nimar; while the southern border
marches with Chhindwara, Betul, and Berar. The District consists
of a long narrow strip forming the lower portion of the Narbada valley,
with sections of the Satpura hill country on the southern border. The
Narbada is the northern boundary of the District and of the Central
Provinces along its whole length in Hoshangabad,
running from a little north of east to south of west; physical
and the District extends along its southern bank for
a length of over 120 miles, while its width varies from 22 to 40 miles.
North of the Narbada lie the Vindhyan mountains, in places seen only
as a far-off outline, with the plains of Bhopal or Indore spread out
below, in other places running in and following the line of the river,
the water of which washes their base for miles. In these spots outlying
spurs and hills are generally found on the southern side. One such
spur, known as the Black Rocks, crops up close to Hoshangabad and
supplies the town with building and paving stone. With the exception
of these outliers, the portion of the District adjoining the Narbada
consists of an open black-soil plain of great fertility. In the south the
Satpuras generally run in successive ranges parallel to the line of the
valley and trending to the south-west. The portions included in
the District consist of the block of the Pachmarhi or Mahadeo hills
in the south-east, a low outer range of the Satpuras running through
the Hoshangabad and Harda tahsils with the valley of the Denwa
behind it in the centre, and another wild tract of hill and. forest on the
south-west called Kalibhit 1, which extends to the Tapti on the border
1 Transferred to Nimar District in 1904.