206 HOSUR TOWN
the District. It is in the style of an English mediaeval castle, with
turrets, battlements, a moat, ckc. It was purchased by Government in
1875 for Rs. 1o,ooo.
Four miles south of the town, at Mattagiri, is the Hosfir Remount
D6pdt, from which the Ninth Division of the army in India is supplied,
with cavalry and artillery horses. This dates from 1828, and is in
charge of a British officer assisted by a subaltern of the Army Veterinary
department. The greater number of the horses are Australians bought
from the importers at Madras. They are acclimatized and broken to
their work at the dťp6t. The place has a wonderfully English appear-
ance, the grassy paddocks being surrounded with post-and-rail fences
and entered by gates of familiar pattern, and much of the work on the
farm is done by horses instead of bullocks.
Hotgi.-Village in the District and tdluha of Sholdpur, Bombay,
situated in 17° 36′ N. and 75° 58′ E., 9 miles south-east of Sholdpur
city. Population (1901), 3,918. It is the junction of the Great
Indian Peninsula Railway with the Hogi-Gadag section of the Southern
Mahratta line. The village contains a dispensary belonging to the
Southern Mahratta Railway.
Hoti Mardan.-'Town in Peshawar District, North-West Frontier
Province. See MARVAN.
Howrah District (Habara).-Small District in the Burdwan
Division of Bengal, lying between 22° 13′ and 22°, 47′ N. and
87° 51′ and 88° 22′ E., with an area of 510 square miles. Howrah,
which is a separate magisterial charge, is for revenue purposes sub-
ordinate to HOOGHLY DiSTRtcr, by which it is bounded on the north;
its western and eastern boundaries are the Rdpn‚rayan and the
Hooghly rivers, which separate it from Midnapore and the Twenty-
four Parganas and meet at its southern angle.
The District is intersected from north to south by the DAMODAR,
which falls into the Hooghly opposite Faltd Point. There are many
small streams and watercourses, the principal being
aspects the Kana Damodar, a tributary of the river of that
name, which rises near Tarakeswar in Hooghly Dis-
trict, and falls into the Damodar at Aorta; the SaraswatÔ, at one time
the main channel of the Ganges but now merely a branch of the
Hooghly, which it leaves near TribenY and, after flowing southwards
through Howrah, rejoins at Sankrail; and the GAIGHATA BAKSHI
KHAL, which connects the Rtlpndrdyan and Damodar. The District
is studded with depressions lying between the larger rivers, the most
important being the Rdjapur marsh between the Hooghly and
Damodar, which is now being gradually drained; towards the south
the country lies so low as to require protection by costly Government
and private embankments.