Bahud‚ river, while Surangi and Jarada largely consist of hill and
Ichchapuram Town (' City of desire').-TGown in the Berhampur
hdluh of Ganjam District, Madras, situated in 19° 7′ N. and 84° 42′ E.,
on the trunk road and on the East Coast Railway, 15 miles south-west
of Berhampur. Population (igor), 9,975. It was formerly the head-
quarters of the Ichch‚puram district of Chicacole Sarkdr, and the seat
of the Muhammadan Naib. Some small mosques in ruins alone remain.
To one of these followers of the Prophet come from distant places for
prayer. The place is now the head-quarters of a deputy-tahsilddr.
Ichhawar.--Town in the Nizamat-i-Maghrib or western district
of Bhopal State, Central India, situated in 23° 2′ N. and 77° 1′ E.
Population (1901), 4,352. The site is an old one, the present town
having been built on the foundations of the village of Lakshmipura.
A small fort in the place was built by the Marathas, who seized it
in 1716. Ichh‚war was made over to the Bhopal State under the
treaty of 1818. The Ichhawar lahsil was for many years held in Jagir
by the Bhopal Bourbons, who have given a succession of shrewd
councillors and valiant soldiers to the State. About 1560 Jean Philippe
Bourbon of Navarre, a cousin of Henry IV, came to India. He
entered the service of Akbar, married Julia.na, said to have been
a sister of Akbar's `Christian wife,' and was created a Nawab. The
family continued in the service of the Delhi emperors till 1739, when
on the sack of that city by Nadir Shah they fled to the fort of Shergarh
(25° 35′ N. and 77° 58′ E.), which they held in. jdgir in the territory of
the Narwar chief. The family remained in Narwar in safety till 1778,
when the Raja, who was jealous of his powerful feudatory, attacked
Shergarh and massacred all but four of the family, who managed to
escape to Gwalior. After the capture of Gwalior in 1780 by Major
Popham, some territory was assigned to them, and soon after Salvador
Bourbon took service in the Bhopal State, and became a general in the
State army. Salvador's son Balthasar was minister to Wazir Muhammad,
and was instrumental in concluding the treaty of 1818 with the British
Government, he being one of the signatories. During the Mutiny
of 1857 the fugitives from Agar were hospitably received by Jean
de Silva and several of the Bourbon family who were then residing
in the town. Members of the family still live in the State'.
Idak.-Village in the Daur valley, in the Northern Waziristan
Agency, North-West Frontier Province, situated in 32° 57′ N. and
70° 15′ E., on the left bank of the Tochi river, 28 miles west of
Bannu. Its inhabitants belong to the Idak subdivision of the Tappizad
Dauris. About 1-1 miles north-east of the village is a post garrisoned
by the Northern Waziristan militia.
' Asiatic Quarterly Review, 1887.