Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 13, p. 381.


Graphics file for this page
JAIPUR RESIDENCY 381
retain any portion of his diminished dominions, and the Jaintia Hills
lapsed to the British Government. After annexation the parganas
were settled in 1836 for Rs. 36,ooo, and this settlement remained
substantially in force for the next twenty years. In 1856 they were
resettled for a further term of twenty years, the revenue demand
at the commencement of the settlement being Rs. 54,ooo, rising to
Rs. 62,ooo in 1876, owing to the inclusion of land taken up during its
currency. At the next settlement the revenue was raised to Rs. 1,68,ooo;
but as it was found that the people could not bear such a sudden
enhancement, the demand was reduced to Rs. 1,24,000. In 1898 the
parganas were again resettled for a term of fifteen years, the demand
being fixed at Rs. 1,87,000 on an area of 197,ooo acres, of which
72,ooo acres were uncultivated. The rates assessed on homestead and
cultivated land vary from Rs. 2-10 to :12 annas an acre. Four-fifths of
the cultivated area is under rice, most of which is of the long-stemmed
variety sown in marshy tracts. In the cold season mustard and
linseed are grown, chiefly on land which lies too low for rice. The
rainfall is abundant, but is sometimes unfavourably distributed, and
much damage is occasionally done by the floods of the hill streams.
On the other hand, the soil is fertile, and the villagers can obtain a
ready market for the surplus products of their rice-fields and of the
excellent fruit gardens that surround their houses. The people are,
however, unenterprising and backward, village industries are almost
unknown, and the ryots are in consequence compelled to buy nearly
everything that they require. A considerable portion of the parganas
lies too low for cultivation and is covered with dense jungle, and the
climate at the foot of the hills is malarious and unhealthy.
Jaintiapur.-Village in the North Sylhet subdivision of Sylhet
District, EastÍrn Bengal and Assam, situated in 25° 8′ N. and 92° 8′ E.
It was formerly the capital of the Jaintia Raja, whose territory was
annexed in 1835 in consequence of his complicity in the murder of
three British subjects offered up to the goddess Kali. There were for-
merly some interesting remains, marking the transition from the primi-
tive paganism of the hill tribes to the elaborate Hinduism imported
from Bengal, the former symbolized by great monoliths of unhewn
stone, the latter by Hindu temples with their carvings and images.
These ruins were, however, thrown down by the earthquake of 1,897,
and Jaintiapur js no longer a place of much importance. A market
largely attended by the hill tribes is, however, held here once a week.
Jaipur Residency.--One of the eight Political Charges into which
Rajputana is divided. It is made up of the States of Jaipur and
Kishangarh and the small chiefship of Lawa, lying in the eastern half of
the Agency, between 25° 41′ and 28° 34′ N. and 74° 40′ and 77° 13′ E.
It is bounded on the north by Bikaner and the Punjab; on the west
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html