Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 14, p. 26.


Graphics file for this page
26 JALAUN TAHSIL
but this tract has suffered. recently from bad seasons. North o£ the
m- a tract of We,, or lightercoloured soil, which largely depends.
on ,in at particular. sea ns for its cultivation. The. north, west, and
o¢h-t of the taluil consists of a loam tract, which is erved by the
Kuthaund branch of the Betwb Carial, and is one of the n malt stable
pox of this very prec tons District. In rgoo-1 the area under.
cultivation was 275 square miles, of which 5 were irrigated.
Jalaun Town.-Head-quartets of the tah alof the same name in
Jālaun District, United Provinces, situated in 26° 8′ N. and 79° 21′ E.,
metalled road 13 miles from Omi, the District head-quarters:
Population (1901), 8,573. During the eighteenth century jalmn w
the capital of a Maratha State, and nearly. all the respectable inhab4
taut,. are still blaratha Brahmans, many of whom enjoy pensions and
en-free grants. Besides the tahaB offices, the town wntains a dis-

pensary and a anima school with 144 pupils. It is administered under
Act XX of 1856, with an income of abeat Rs. a,3oo. Trade is. small,
but increasing. A fine market was built in r88t, and a number of
Marwarf bankers are settled here.
Jalesar Tahsil.-South-western taW of Etal, District, United Pro-
e onterminovs with thepasgana of the same name, lying between
27° 18′ and 27° 35′ N. and 78° 11′ and 78° 31′ E., with an area of
zz7 ,qua miles. Population increased from ,03o x891 to
133,399 n rgo1. There are 156 villages and two towns including
Jn1,aa .(population, 14,348),. the ani il headquarters. The de
mand for land-re u n x9o3-4. was R~ z,76,ooo, and for ceases
Rs.45,000; but under the new settlement these figures will be raised
to In.a,88,o0o and Re. 47,.... The density. of population, 588 peo-

ns per square mile, is the highest in the Distri t. The talutl forms
an almost unbroken plain. The Rind or Armd touches the noithcaat
but the chief ti s the Sengar, known in this part of its
rse also as the Isan. Irrigation is latticed by, means of the EM-1,
branch of the Upper Ganges Canal. The tahsil is generally fertile, but
crossed by a line of s'andhill,, and is interspersed with patclme of
barren soil o - and marshes. The drainage has recently been
'unproved. In 1898-9 the a under cultivation was 141 square miles,
of which 87 were irrigated. The cared serves more than a third of the
irrigatedrea, and wells supply most of the remainder. In dry sensors
the Sengar or Iran is largely used as a source of irrigation.
Jalesar Town.-Head-quarters of the.Mhalof the same name in
End, District, United Provinces, situated in 27° 28′ N. and 78° 19′ H-,
on the road from Muttra to Etah town, 8J, miles learn Jalesar Road
station on the. East Indian Railway, Population (igox), 14,348.. The
town consists of two parts, the fort and the lower town. The fort is
said ru 1?uve been erected by a Raga of Metar in the fifteenth century,;
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html