fringed with babdl groves. In the north and south-east low straggling
hills covered with young teak rise out of the plain. There is a plentiful
and constant supply of water. On the whole, the climate is healthy,
but at the close of the rains fever and ague prevail. The chief streams
re the Vaghur, with its tributaries the Kag and Sur, the Harki and
Sonij. Most of these streams rise in the Satmala hills. There are
also 1 ,95, wells. Generally speaking, the soil is poor. There is black
loam in the valleys, and on the plateaux a rich brownish mould called
Jamner Town.-Head-quarters of the trsluku of the same n
r1- East Kloadesh District, Bombay, situated in 20° 49′ N. and
75° 47′ E., on the small river Kag, 6, miles east-by-south of Dbulia.
Population (19or), 6,457 Jamner was a place of consequence in the
times of the Peshwàs. Its prosperity has recently shown signs of
vival, owing to its rising cotton trade and ginning industry. The
town has three cotton ginning and pressing factories, a dispensary, and
two schools, attended by nearly soo boys..
Jamaia,-Dhd,rzidt in the BHOrnwsa AGENCY, Central India.
Jamnotri.-Temple in the State of Tehn, United Provinces, situ-
ated in 31° 1′ N. and 78° 28′ E. It stands on the western flank of the
great peak of Band.T6nch (31,731 feet), at an elevation of about
10;801 feet above the se and 4 miles below the glacier from which
the Jum issues. The temple is a small wooden structure, containing
image of the goddess Jumna. Close by are a number of hot springs
from which water issues at a temperature of 194.7° F. Many pilgrims
visit this sacred place every summer.
Jampur Tahsil.-Talon of Dr. Ghs-i Khan District, Punjab,
lying between 29° 16′ and 29° 46′ N. and 70° 43′ and 70° 43′E, with
a of 895 square miles.. It is bounded by the Indus on the east,
are. by independent territory Go the weal The n lowlands a
subject to inundation from the Indus, and are also irrigated by munds,
tion canals and wells. The hilly portion of the tahxl includes the Mari
peak (5,385 feet above the sea). The rest of the talurl consists of a
sandy tract, the cultivation of which depends on irrigation from the
Kaha torrent and on the very precarious rainfall. The population in
1911 was 97,-47, compared with 83,583 in 1891- It contains. the
towns of JaMeoE (population, 5,9-8), the headquarters, and I1nInE
(6,ar3)3 and r4q villages. HARRAND is a place of some historical
interest. The land revenue and cesses in 1903-4 amounted to 1•5'
Jampur Town.-Head-quarters of the Jampm tahal of Dam Ghari.
Khan District, Punjab, situated in 29° 39′ N. and 70° 39′ E., 3- mites
south of Dera Ghni Khan town. Population (,gor), 5,9-8. There is a
considerable export of indigo to Multan and Sukkm, and a good deal of