52 JAMPUR TOWN
lac turnery is carried on. The municipality was created in x873. The
income and expenditure during the ten years ending r9,,-3 averaged
Its. and Rs. 9,6- respectively. In r9e3-4 the income was
Rs. 11,501, chiefly from octroi; and the expenditure was Rs. 12,500.
The town has an Anglo-vernacular middle school, maintained by the
municipality, and a dispensary.
Jamrao Canal.-A large and important water channel in the
Hyderabad and the Thar and P3rkar Districts of Sind, Bombay.
The canal takes off from the Nara river in thenortb-west corner of the
Sanghar Allah, and joins the Nara again n the extreme south of the
Jamesabad laluka, the total length of the a irrigated being about
rso miles with an average breadth of r0 miles. 1The natural features
vary. The uppcr reaches of the canal pass through the sandy jungle-
clad hills along the Nara river, which give place to an alluvial plain;
Bred, where formerly liable to be flooded from the Nam, with thick
jungle of karuli,baba, and wild caper bushes, and are succeeded by
the wide open plains sparsely dotted with vegetation which a e the
characteristic feature of the country. The length of the Jamrao Canal
117 miles, and, including all its branches and distributaries, ,588
miles. This canal has one large branch, called the West Branch, 63
miles n length, and about 408 miles of a8nor channels.
The carat was opened on November 24, 1899, and water for irrigation
a large scale was admitted in the following June. The cost of the
work was about 84.6 lakhs and the gross evenue of x903-4 amounted
to 61 Iakhs, which gives a net revetme of 4-3 lakhs or ga per cent. on
capital outlay to the end of the year. The area irrigated in x903-4 was
43i square miles. Large areas were available for colonization in the
centre of the rmcr adjoining the canal to which water had never before
penetrated, and over which no rights had been previously acquired.
To these lands, colonists have recently been drawn from the Punjab,
Catch, Jodhpur, Jacalmer, KohistÚn, and the DesÚrc. The '.area so
far allotted to colonists, on the model of the CHSdzu COLONY in the
Punjab, amounted in 1904 to x16 square miles.
Jamrud.--Fort and cantonment jus beyond the border of Pesba~
xir District, North-West Frontier Province, situated in 34° 6′ N. and
71° 23′ E., at the mouth of the Khyber Pass, 10} miles west of Pasha-
Population (1901), 1,848.. Jamoud was first fortified in x836 by
Har9 Singh, the Sikh governor of Peshawar. It is now the head-quarters
of the Khyber Rifles, and is the collecting station. for the. Khyber tolls,
and contains a considerable tar A large mobilization camping
ground has been selected, 3 it. an he Peshawar side of Jamrud, and
rangenents have been made for supplying water to it from the BAr3
waterworks. jamrad is connected with Peshawar by a branch of the