Jamtata Subdiviasion.-South-western subdivision of the Small
Pargenas District, Bengal, lying, between 23° 48′ and 24° 10′ N. and
86° 30′ and 87° 18′ E., with an a of 698 square miles. The sub-
division, which is founded- the south by the Barakar and is inter
sected by the Ajay rive rolling country, in places rocky and
covered with jungle, ad resembles in its general features the adjoining
District of Ménbhnm. The population in 1911 was 189,799, compared
with 173,726 in 189,, the density being sja persons per square mile.
It contains I,o73 villages, of which JAWTARA is the head- quarters;
but no town.
Jamtara Village.-Head- quarters of the subdivision of the same
name in the SantAl Parginas District, Bengal, situated in 23° 58′ N.
and 86° 50′ E. Population (1901), s78.
Jemu.-Province and town in Kashmir Sure. See KASHMIR AND
JAM and JAM u TowN.
Jamui Subdivision.-Southern subdivision of Monghyr District,
Bengal, lying between 24° 22′ and 25° 7′ N. and 85° 49′ and 86° 37′E.,
with an area of 1,276 square miles. The population in r9or w
55bax7, compared with 553,917 in r89r. At the time of the Census
it comprised an area of 1,593 square miles, but the Sheikhpu,a thaw
was subsequently transferred to the Monghyr subdivision. The popu-
lat#on of the subdivision as now constituted is 374,998. It contains
499 villages, of which JAMUI is its head-quartets. The subdivision,
which in the south merges in the Chotil Nagpur plateau, contains
large areas of jungle, and supports only 294 persons to the square
mile, being the least densely populated part of the District Jamul is
important centre of trade. (31-a- and Khan. are the present
seats oftla, two senior branches of the Gidhaur family.
Jamui Village.-Head-quarters of the subdivision of the same
1 in Monghyr District, Bengal, situated in 24° 55′ N.and 86° 13′ E.,
n the left bank oiyghe r Kiul, 4 miles south-west of the Jamni
statyoa on the East Indian Railway, with which it is connected by a
metalled r.Ad. Population Nor), 4,744. It contains be usual public
offices, a mend, s sub-jail with accommodation for 51 prisoners, and
a higher-class English school. Mahurz flowers (E-An7atifot'a) and oil,
ghi, shellac, oilseeds, grain, and gur are exported, and cotton, tobacco,
piece goods, and metal vessels are imported. Trade is carried on by
rail and by pack-bullocks. To the south o£ the village are the remains
of an old fort, known as Indpegath.
Jamuna (1).--River of Eastern Bengal and Assam, probably repre,
enting one of the old channels of the Tis1u. It rises in Dinajpur Dis-
trict, act far from the boundary of Rangpnr (25° 38′ N. and 88° 54′ E.),
and, flowing due south along the border of Bogm, finally falls into the
Altai, itself a tributary of the Ganges, near the village of Bhawànipur