ceeded by his son Medni Singh, who died childless, and B7ndhom was
absorbed into Joan. Early in the nineteenth century the jdgr fell to
Ali Bahadur of Bands, who assigned it to Gopal Singh, a rebel servant
of the holder Chet Sing. Gopal Singh, however, espoused the cause of
Motor Singh, Chet Singh', infant son. On the establishment of the
British supremacy, Jas, was held to be subordinate to the Ajaigarh
State, and was included in the Kona pabg- secured to the Ajaigarh
chief by the wood granted him in 1807. To this an objection w
raised; and on reference to the British Government it was finally
decided that the suzerainty of Ajaigadl had never been came than
final, and a separate raerzd was granted to MGrat Singh in r8r6
confirming him in independent possession of jaw. Jagat Raj Singh,
the present chief, succeeded in x888, but in 1899 withdrew from active
participation in the management. His son Girwai Singh, who is
is being educated at the Daly College at Indore, the State
being under superintendents.
jaw includes 6, villages and has a cultivated area of z9 square
miles, or 40 per cent. of the total. The total revenue is Rs. a3,oao, of
which Rs. s derived from land.
The capital, Jun, is picturesquely situated in 24° 30′ N. and
80° 30′ E., on the banks of n fine lake. The name is said to be a con
tracted form of Jaseshvart-nagay and the place w at various times
known as Malmndri-nagar,. Adharpurt, and Hardl-ragar.r'oA small
temple, a us ltsgam, and several ma stones stand in the town,
while us Join and Hindu remains lie tattered round it. A
ocular school and a hospital are situated here.
vernacular Cuhmngham, ArrhaeologiJasol.-Headquarters of aldir estate of the same name in the
Ma113ni district of the State of Jodhpur, Rajputana, situated in 25° 49′ N.
72° 13′ Č.; on the left bank of the Unit river, a miles from Balotra
station on the Jodhpur-Btkaner Railway. Population (1901), a,543-
The village, which is built partly on the slope of a hill, possesses a post
office, a vernacular school, and a small hospital. The estate consists
of 72 villages, and is held by a Thakur on payment of a tribute
of Ps. v,loo to the Jodhpfiv Darbat. About 5 miles to the north-west
re the ruins of Kheq the old capital of Mallani, while to the south-
west nre the remnins of another important town, Nagar. As these
places decayed, jasol rose, and now contains the descendants of some
of the earliest Rathor settlers.
Jaspur.--Town in the Kasbipur tahsil of Nam! Tāl District, United
Provinces, situated in 29° 17′ N. and 78° 50′ E. Population (rgor),
6,480. The town is of modem growth and contains few brick houses.
It is administered under Act XX of 1836, with an me of
about Ra.a,ooo. There is a considerable manufacture of cotton cloth