of the hills. The river nowhere bridged, but is ossed by five
ferries, and is largely used as a trade route. Barkhala Bear, Bala-
chara, and Damchari railway station are the most important places on
its banks. Its total length is 36 miles.
Jatinga RAmeso ara.--Hill, 3,469 feet high, situated in 14° 50′ N.
and 76° 51′ E, in the Molakalmuru tâduk of Chitaldroog District,
Mysore. It is one of the places where edicts of Asoka have been
discovered, and consists of a long ridge, having towards the western
end an ancient, temple of Ranresvma, the present building for which
w rected in 962.
Jatoi.-Village in the Alipus orhni of Mueaffargarh District, Punjab,
situated in 29° 31′ N. and 70° 51′ E., rr miles north-west of Allpur
town. Population (19or), 4,748. Local tradition attributes its foun
dation to Mir Baja, Klein, in the days of the emperor Babe, The
Indus washed away the original town at the close of the last century,
but it was shortly afterwards rebuilt on the present site. Jatoi was for
some time subordinate to Bahowalpur, but was. annexed by Dtwsn
Samoa Mal. In the war against Malraj, the Jatoi people threw off the
Sikh rule, and rendered good service.
Jatpol.-A samasthdn or tributary estate in the south of Mahbab-
nagar District, Hyderabad State, consisting of 89 villages, with an area
of r9, square miles, and a population (190x) of 3,,6,3. The total
re is 1-9 lakhs, and the tribute paid to the Niza,n is Rs. 73,537•
From inscriptions it appears that in 1243 Annepota NAyadu took
possession of the estate, and captured P- and other forts. His
door extended on the east us far as Srisil, on the west to Kotté
and 1Sugm now belonging to the Wanparti -.than, on he north to
Devarkonds,and on the south they were bounded by the Kistna in,
His descendants ruled for several centuries. In the last'quarter of the
eighteenth century Raja Jagannath Rao, having no male issue, adapted
Lachma Ran, a scion of the Rao family of Pakh41. In 1831 Lechma,
Ram obtained the Jntp.L pasgana from the Niaam oh a fixed rental.
of Rs. io,ooo. The present Raja, Venhata Lxhrna Ran, 'w he is
a younger brother of the Raja of Venketagiri in. the. Moor.. Ptw.
sidency, also succeeded by adoption.. He has cleared off debt..
,mounting to nearly 2 lakhs, with which the estate was encumbered.
The Raja resides at Kolhepur (population, 2,204), though. until. eighty
years ago Jatpol was the head quarters.
Jaugada,-Ruined fort in Ganjam District,. Madras, situated in
19° 33′ N. and 84° 50′ E, about 18 miles west of Ganjam town, on
the north bank of.the Rushikulya in the Berhampur &luk, among the
s of what was once a large city surrounded by ,all. Towards.
the canto, of the fort is a huge granite mass, on which are inscribed
thirteen. edicts of the Buddhist emperor Asoka (about ego ac.). They