JULLLUNDUR TOWN 231
Besides the Jullundur civil hospital, the District has ten outlying
dispenw At these institutions i54,514 'out-patients and 4,247 in-
patients were treated in 1914, and ~,883.operations were performed.
The expenditure ass Rs. eo,wo, contributed in nearly equal shares by
District and municipal funds. There is a leper asylum at Dakhm.
The number of successful vaccinations in r9-3-4 was er,8or, repre-
senting e4 per r,o.o of the population. Vaccination is compulsory in
the town of Jullundur.
[H. A. Rose, Detrid Gavtteer (in press) ; W. E. Purser, Sealemrnt
R p4 (t89s).J
Jullundur Tahsil (Jalandhar).-Northern tahril of Jullundur Dis.
nict, Punjab, lying between 31° 12′ and 31° 37′ N. and 75° 26′ and
76° 49′ E., with an area of 391 square miles. The population in r9or
as 305,976, compared with 195,301 in 189x. The head-quarters are
at the town of JUL6UNOUR (population, 67,735); and it also contains
the towns of KA114RPUR (10,841) and ALAWALPVR (4,4x3), with
419 villages. The land revenue and cesses in 1903-4 amounted to
4-8 lakhs. The greater part of the NMI consists of an upland plateau,
with a light soil and frequent sand hillocks, but along the north-eastern
border is a belt of extremely fertile land averaging spout 6 miles in width.
Jullundur Town (Jalandhar).--Head -quarter, of the Division and
District of Jullundur, Punjab, situated in 31° 20′ N. and 75° 35′ E, on
the North-Western Railway and grand trunk road. It is distant by rail
from Calcutta ,x81 miles, from Bombay 1,147 miles, and from Karachi
916 miles. Ppul, Son (,got), including cantonment,, 67,73 5, of whom
14,715 was Hindus, 40,0& Muhammadans, 9o- Sikhs, and 1,543
Christians. Jullundur was, when visited by Hiuen T.siang, a large city,
miles in circuit, the capital of a Rajput kingdom. It was taken by
lbrahlm Shah of G11or about 1188. Under the Mugbals Jullundur
as the capital of a mrh&r; it was burnt by the Sikhs in 1757; and
captured by the Fainullahpuria confederacy in -766. Ranjit Singh
exed it in 18n, and in 1846 Jullundur became the head-quarters
of the territory acquired by the British after the first Sikh War. The
town is ounded by several suburbs known as ba,Ns, the most
important of which are Basti Danishmand&n (population, e,771) and
Basti Shaikh De-ash (7,109), founded by Ana'arl Shaikh. from Kam.
get,, in the seventeenth century. The town contains two flourvmills,
to one of which is attached a small it and brass foundry, The
umber of hands employed in 1904 was 73. Silk is also manufactured,
and good carpenters work is turned out. The municipality was rested
n 1867. The income during the ten years ending r9oa-3 averaged
Rs.7o,6o6, and the expenditure Rs.68,800. In. r9o3-4 the income
,mounted to Re. 84,3--, chiefly from Orion; and the expenditure to
Rs,86,9oo, the main items being public health (RI-31,300). and