258 KADI PRANT
Rs. o-3-o to Rs. a-8-o per Ugh, (8 acre) for 'dry' land, and from
R.. 1-9-a to Rs. z-r r-o for 'wet' land.
The p>awt contain. twclmc municipalities, three of which are admin.
istered by boards reconstituted in 9,5 o a partly elective basis.
These latter-PStanSidbpur, and Visnagar--have a total in of
Rs. aI,5oo from customs, excise, and tolls, besides grants of Rs. 7,000;
and the remaining nine receive grants of Rs. 10,50e. A District board
and local boards w .stituted in 1905.
The administration is ,tried on by the Suboh, while the curt of
the 01511 judge is at Visnagar. Education is well provided for, as
theprant has one high schoef (at Patan), 6 Anglo-vernacular schools,
and 369 vernacular schools, the total number of pupils in 1904-5 being
.5,316. Two civil hospitals and eleven dispensaries treated 86,3,9
patien 'n 'go4-5, of whom 359 were in-patients.
Kadi Taluka.-South-western tabrhu of the Radii pram, Baroda
State, with a area If 331 square miles. The population fell from
96,78. in 1891t 71,784 in 1901. The talako contains one town,
KADI (population, 13,070), the head-quarters of the WO, and of the
prantuntil 1904; And .,8 villages. The general aspect of the 1aluha
11 very unprepossessing, as it consists for the most part Iran culture,
ruptedplain bare of all trees. Round the town of Kadi, however, and
n its neighbourhood there are trees in fair abundance, a gentle undu-
lming country, and numerous ttanks. The soil for the most part is
light and sandy. In 1904-the land revenue was Rs. .,58,000.
Kadi Town.-Headquarters of the talska of the sat
Baroda State, situated in 23° 18′ N. and 72° 2′ E., on the Gaikwaes
State line from KAlol on the Rajpurana-MAIWA Railway. Population
(1901), 13,070. It is a place of some importance in the State, owing to
its connexion with MalhAr Rao, who held it as tagbdar and rebelled
against the Gaikwar Govind Rao. Till 1904 it was the head-quarters
of the Kadi praise. The town ,on from a distance presents rather a
picturesque appearance, the domes of the fort gleaming from the thick
wool which surrounds it. To the north lies a broad sheet of water
fringed with nces and on the edge which touches the house,§ the domed
gate or Gumit Darwars is effectively placed. The fort itself stands o
a slight elevation; and its brick walls and n is buttresses, though
they enclose no great a of enormous thickness and in a good
state of pre- ion. The chef buildings inside the fort are the Rang
and Supra Mehals, while behind it is the palace or m>karwbda, which
as formerly occupied by the Subsh'r and other offices. In addition,
the town possesses hospital, c urts, jail, Anglowernacular and
cular .schools, and v us dh-solar and temples. Its n
streets contain gaudily painted houses, lavishly decorated with w0od-
earving, but the choking dust and the crumbled appearance of the