centre is an old fortress, said to have been built by a Hindu family
from Delhi in the time of Bakht Buland. Kalmeshwar was consti-
tuted a municipality in 1867. The municipal income during the
decade ending 1901 averaged Rs. 4,400. In 1903-4 the income was
Rs. 5,000, mainly derived from a house tax and market dues. A
weekly cattle market is held, and there is some trade in grain and
oilseeds. Cotton cloth is woven by hand. There is an English
Kalna Subdivision.—South-eastern subdivision of Burdwan Dis-
trict, Bengal, lying between 23° 7′ and 23° 36′ N. and 88° o' and
88° 25′ E., with an area of 399 square miles. This subdivision, like
the adjoining subdivision of Katwa, is flat and alluvial, and the eastern
portion along the bank of the Bhagirathi is low-lying and marshy.
The population in 1901 was 233,269, compared with 231,512 in 1891,
the density being 585 persons per square mile. It contains one
town, KALNA (population, 8,121), its head-quarters; and 698 villages.
Nadanghat possesses a large river trade in rice.
Kalna Town.—Head-quarters of the subdivision of the same name
in Burdwan District, Bengal, situated in 23° 13′ N. and 88° 22′ E., on
the right bank of the Bhagirathi. Population (1901), 8,121. Kalna
was a place of great importance in Muhammadan times, and the ruins
of a large fort which commanded the river are still to be seen. It was
formerly the port which supplied the District, and steamers still visit it
throughout the year; but it has suffered owing to the competition with
the East Indian Railway, and its population has declined. A con-
spicuous feature of the town is a group of 109 Siva lingam temples,
which were built in 1809. Kalna was constituted a municipality in
1869. The income during the decade ending 1901-2 averaged
Rs. 13,000, and the expenditure Rs. n,ooo. In 1903-4 the income
was Rs. 16,000, of which Rs. 4,000 was derived from a tax on persons
(or property tax) and Rs. 4,000 from a tax on vehicles, &c.; and the
expenditure was Rs. 14,000. The town contains the usual public
offices : the subsidiary jail has accommodation for 20 prisoners.
Kalni.—River in Assam. See SURMA.
Kalol Taluka (i).—Southern taluka of the Kadi prant, Baroda
State, with an area of 267 square miles. The population fell from 97,089
in 1891 to 80.532 in 1901. It contains one town, KALOL (population,
6,465), the head-quarters ; and 88 villages. The taluka presents the
appearance of a fairly wooded and well-cultivated plain. The Sabar-
mati river just touches its western boundary. The surface soil is
'gordt, or of a light sandy nature. In 1904-5 the land revenue
was Rs. 2,15,000.
Kalol Town.—Head-quarters of the taluka of the same name,
Kadiprdnt, Baroda State, situated in 23° 15′ N. and 72° 32′ E.. on the