number are held in different parts of the District. In the interior,
as well as at Gauhati, the principal shopkeepers are Marwaris, who sell
piece-goods, salt, grain, and oil, and not infrequently opium, and buy
silk cloths, rice, and mustard seed, for which they often make advances
before the crop is cut. The bulk of the trade is with Bengal, and
is carried by steamer, though when the rivers rise in the rains country
boats penetrate into the interior. The only foreign trade is with
Bhutan, whose subjects come down through the DEWANGIRI, SUBAN-
KHATA, and Kakilabari Duars to fairs held at Darranga and Subankhata,
arid starting from these centres travel about the country. The principal
imports from Bhutan are rubber, ponies, and blankets ; the exports
are cotton and silk cloths.
The Assam-Bengal Railway runs for 33 miles through the District
to the Nowgong boundary, connecting Gauhati with Dibrugarh, and
with Chittagong via the North Cachar hills. Through railway com-
munication to Calcutta will be provided by a line now under construc-
tion, which will run from a point just opposite Gauhati to Golakganj
on the Dhubri extension of the Eastern Bengal State Railway. A daily
service of passenger steamers and large cargo boats, owned by the
India General Steam Navigation Company and the Rivers Steam
Navigation Company, ply on the Brahmaputra, calling at Gauhati,
Soalkuchi, Palasbari, and Kholabanda. During the rains country
boats come from Bengal, and proceed up the various rivers into the
interior. Two trunk roads pass through the District, along the north
and south banks of the river. In 1903-4 there were 16 miles of
metalled and 160 miles of unmetalled roads maintained from Provincial
funds, and 371 miles of unmetalled roads under the local boards.
Generally speaking, Kamrup is well supplied with means of com-
munication. A steam ferry crosses the Brahmaputra at Gauhati.
As in other parts of Assam, famine is unknown in Kamrup; but in
1901 the rice crop was the poorest that had been reaped for many
years, and there was local scarcity which necessitated some assistance
For general administrative purposes, the District is divided into two
subdivisions: GAUHATI, under the immediate charge of the Deputy-
Commissioner ; and BARPETA, usually entrusted to . .
. ji _.. ,e Administration.
a native magistrate. Ihe sanctioned District staff
includes five Assistant Magistrates, a Forest officer, and an Engineer
who is also in charge of the Khasi and Jaintia Hills, and whose head-
quarters are at Shillong.
The Deputy-Commissioner has the powers of a Sub-Judge, and
certain of the Assistant Magistrates exercise jurisdiction as Munsifss
Appeals, both civil and criminal, lie to the District and Sessions Judge
of the Assam Valley, whose head-quarters are at Gauhati, while the