370 KANAUD TOWN
Perron. Ismail Beg persuaded its mistress to resist, and marched to
her relief; but she was killed in the battle which ensued under the walls
of Kanaud, and Ismail Beg surrendered to Perron. Kanaud then
became the principal stronghold of Appa Khande Rao, Sindhia's
feudatory, who held the Rewari territory, and eventually be'came a
possession of the British, by whom it was granted to the Nawab of
Thajjar. By the sanad of January 4, 1861, the British Government
granted parganas Kanaud and Kuddhuana to the Maharaja of Patiala,
with all rights pertaining thereto, in lieu of 19-4 lakhs. The town has
an Anglo-vernacular middle school, a dispensary, and a police station.
The fort of Kanaud, known as Mohindargarh, contains the head-
quarters offices of the Mohindargarh nizamat and tahsil.
Kanauj Tahsil (Kannauf).—South-eastern tahsil of Farrukhabad
District, United Provinces, conterminous with the pargana of the same
name, lying along the Ganges, between 26° 56′ and 27° 12′ N. and
79° 43′ and 80° i' E., with an area of 181 square miles. Population
decreased from 117,229 in 1891 to 114,215 in 1901. There are 206
villages and one town, KANAUJ (population, 18,552). The demand
for land revenue in 1903-4 was Rs. 1,95,000, and for cesses Rs. 31,000.
The density of population. 631 persons per square mile, is above the
District average. The tahsll consists of two parts : the uplands or
bangar, and the lowlands near the Ganges, or kachohd, the former
covering the larger area.. The Kali Nadi (East) crosses the tahsil and
joins the Ganges. In 1903-4 the area under cultivation was 124
square miles, of which 43 were irrigated. Irrigation is supplied almost
entirely from wells, and the tract is liable to suffer in dry seasons.
This was the only tahsil in the District which lost in population
between 1891 and 1901.
Kanauj Town (Kannauf).—Ancient city in Farrukhabad District,
United Provinces, situated in 27° 3′ N. and 79° 56′ E., 2 miles from
the grand trunk road and the Cawnpore-Achhnera Railway, and close
to the Kali Nadi (East). The Ganges once flowed below its walls, but
is now some miles away. Population (1901), 18,552. The town finds
no mention in the Mahabharata, but the legend of its foundation is
given in the Ramayana. Kusinabha, the founder, had a hundred
daughters, all but the youngest of whom scorned the hermit, Vayu.
In revenge he cursed them, and their backs became humped, whence
the city was called Kanya-kubja, or 'the crooked maiden.' Early in
the Christian era Ptolemy refers to Kanauj as Kanogiza. The town
was included in the Gupta dominions in the fifth century; and when
the Gupta empire fell to pieces it became the capital of the Maukharis,
one of the petty dynasties which arose in its place. In the sixth
century it suffered from war with the White Huns and their ally, the
king of Malwa; but early in the seventh century it was included in