District. The number of villages is 69, of which Kandiaro is the
head-quarters. Land revenue and cesses in 1903-4 amounted to more
than i-| lakhs. The surface of the tdluka has the appearance of two
large land waves with three depressions • and throughout its length on
the river bank it is protected by a belt of forests. About two-thirds of
the total is irrigated by canals, aided by wells. The chief crops are
wheat, jowdr, and gram.
Kandiaro Village.—Head-quarters of the tdluka of the same
name in Hyderabad District, Sind, Bombay, situated in 27° 3′ N.
and 68° 17′ E., on the Nasrat canal. Population (1901), 3,916. The
principal occupation of the inhabitants is agriculture, but the Hindus
are engaged in trade, which is mainly in grain and cloth. The village
is said to have been built during the reign of Jahangir. Before it was
founded another was in existence close by. called Patoipur, which
was abandoned owing to an unusual rise of the inundation waters.
The site of the present village was then chosen as being more
elevated ; and having at the time a large number of kandi trees growing
upon it,, the place took, it is supposed, from this circumstance the name
of Kandiaro. Kandiaro has a technical school supported by the local
board with an average daily attendance of 80 students, 6 other schools,
of which 2 are for girls, and a dispensary.
Kandukur Subdivision.—Subdivision of Nellore District, Madras,
consisting of the taluks of KANDUKUR and KANAGIRI and the zamm-
dari tahslls of DARSI and PODILI.
Kandukur Taluk.—Coast taluk of Xellore District, Madras, lying
between 14° 58′ and 15° 30′ N. and 79° 38′ and 80° 5′ E., with an area
of 787 square miles. The population in 1901 was 151,417, compared
with 148,475 in 1891. It contains one town, KAXDUKUR (population,
9,569), the head-quarters: and 161 villages. The demand on account
of land revenue and cesses in 1903-4 amounted to Rs. 3,58,000. The
taluk may before long be well supplied with irrigation, as it will be
commanded by the great Tungabhadra-Penner and Kistna projects.
The Manneru with its affluent, the Upputeru, the Paleru, the Musi,
and the Yelikeru are the chief rivers. The Manneru feeds the
Karedu tank, but the others are at present undeveloped as sources
Kandukur Town.—Head-quarters of the taluk of the same name
in Nellore District, Madras, situated in 15° 13′ N. and 79° 54′ E., about
9 miles west of Singarayakonda railway station and 13 miles from the
sea. Population (1901), 9,569, mainly agriculturists. Two ancient
temples here are dedicated to Vishnu and Siva.
Kaner.—Petty State in KATHIAWAR, Bombay.
Kanethi.—Petty State feudatory to the Bashahr State, Punjab,
lying in two portions between 31° 9′ and 31° 18′ N. and 77° 32′ and
VOL. xiv. B b