396 KANGRA DISTRICT
Hamirpur, and Palampur, the areas under which correspond with the
tahsils of the same names. The chief source of their income is the
local rate, a cess of Rs. 8-5-4 per cent, on the land revenue in Kangra,
of Rs. 10-6-8 in Kulu, and of Rs. 7-8-10 in the waziri of Spiti.
The expenditure in 1903-4 was Rs. 1.45,000, public works being the
The District is divided into 15 police stations, 13 in Kangra proper
and 2 in Kulu; and the police force numbers 412 men, with 901 village
watchmen. The Superintendent usually has three inspectors under
him. The jail at head-quarters contains accommodation for 150
prisoners. It has, however, been condemned as unsafe, and a new
one is in contemplation.
Kangra stands seventh among the twenty-eight Districts of the
Province in respect of the literacy of its population. In 1901 the pro-
portion of literate persons was 4^5 per cent. (8-4 males and 0/3 females).
The number of pupils under instruction was 2,591 in 1880-1, 3,881
in 1890-1, 3,341 in 1900-1, and 3,852 in 1903-4. In the last year
the District contained 6 secondary and 57 primary (public) schools
for boys and 9 for girls, and 3 advanced and 20 elementary (private)
schools, with 266 girls in the public and 38 in the private schools.
The principal educational institution is the high school at Palampur,
founded in 1868, and maintained by the District board. There are
5 middle schools for boys, of which 2 are Anglo-vernacular; 3 of
these are maintained by the District board and 2 are aided. The total
expenditure on education in 1903-4 was Rs. 35,000, of which Rs. 7,000
was derived from fees, Rs. 4,000 from Government grants, and Rs. 2,000
from subscriptions and endowments. Municipalities contributed
Rs. 4,000, and the balance was paid out of District funds.
Besides the civil hospital at Dharmsala, the District has 8 out-
lying dispensaries. In 1904, 739 in-patients and 101,159 out-patients
were treated, and 1,769 operations were performed. The expenditure
was Rs. 19,000, of which Rs. 14.000 was met from District and Rs. 3,000
from municipal funds.
The number of successful vaccinations in 1903-4 was 40,825, repre-
senting the high proportion of 53 per 1,000 of the population. Vaccina-
tion is compulsory in Dharmsala.
[H. A. Rose, District Gazetteer of Kangra Proper (1905); A. Ander-
son, Settlement Report of Kangra Proper (1897) ; A. H. Diack,
Gazetteer of Kulu, Lahul, and Spiti (1897), The Kulu Dialect of Hindi
(1896), and Settlement Report of Kulu Subdivision (1898).]
Kangra Tahsll.—Tahsil of Kangra District, Punjab, lying between
3.1° 54′ and 32° 23′ N. and 76° 8′ and 76° 41′ E., with an area of
429 square miles. The tahsil lies entirely in the hills, between the
Dhaola Dhar, which separates it from Chamba on the north, and the