United Provinces. The tahsil is bounded on the north-east by the.
Ganges and on the south-west by the Kali Nadi. It thus lies critirely,
in the taxai and in the central do4b, which are the. most preca pus
tracts in the District. Heavy rain in 1884-6 led to extensive water-
logging, and the land which fell out of cultivation was overgrown with
Mans (Saccharum spontaneum). Extensive reductions of revenue were
made, and, to prevent further deterioration, the drainage was improveši..
The Bűrhiganga, which lies below the old high bank on the southern
edge of the tarai, has been deepened and straightened. In 1898-9 the
area under cultivation was 347 square miles, of which 108 were irrigated,
The tarai is so moist that irrigation is not usually required, and the
upland area is served by the Lower Ganges Canal and its Fatehgarh
branch. Wells supply abort, half the irrigated area.
Kasganj Town.-Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same name in
Etah District, United Provinces, situated in 27° 48′ N. and 78° 39′ E.,
on the Cawnpore-Achhnera Railway, and also on the road from Nuttra
to Bareilly. A short branch railway connects Kasganj with Soron near
the Ganges, and an extension to Bareilly is under construction, This n
is the chief trade centre of the District, and population is increasing ,
(891) r6,o5a, (1901) 19,686. The town is said to have been founded
by Vakűt Khan, a eunuch in the service of Muhammad Khan;, NawÓb
of Farrukhabad. It afterwards came into the hands of Colonel James '
Gardner, who was in the employ of the Marathas, and later in British
service. He raised a regiment, now known as Gardner's` Horse, and
acquired a large property which was dissipated by his descendants.
Part of the property fell into the hands of Dilsukh Rai, once an agont
to the Gardner family, and one of his descendants has built a magnifi-
cent residence near the town. Kasganj stands on an elevated site, its
drainage flowing towards the Kali Nadi, which runs about a mile south-
east of the town. A new drainage scheme has recently been catnpleted.
The town contains two fine bazars crossing each other at right angles.
At the junction a fine octagonal building, consisting of shops, for-ms
a suitable centre to the town. The chief public buildings are the town
hall, dispensary, tahssh, and munsi. There are also branches. of the
Church Missionary Society and the American, Methodist Mission;
Close to the railway station is a considerable colony of railway ewployes.
The town was constituted a municipality in 1868. During : the ten
years ending 19or the income and expenditure averaged Rs. 19,0100.
In r9o3-4 the income was Rs. 22,ooo, chiefly derived from octrol
(Rs. I4,oQo) ; and the expenditure was Rs. 23,000.: Kasganj is
becoming an important centre for the collection and distribution of
country produce, especially grain, sugar, and cotton. Sugarrrofining
is a, growing industry,. and there were_ two cotton-gins and a cotton-
press which employed 788 hands in 1903, while another ginning