the Rajkumar College (Rs. 45,ooo) and Girasia Schools (Rs. 33,000),
was 8•3 lakhs, of which Provincial funds contributed 0-4 per cent.,
the revenue of the States 78•7 per cent., and other sources 2•7 per cent.,
while 18.6 per cent. was recovered as fees.
There are 124 hospitals and dispensaries in Kathiawar. The
patients treated at these institutions in 1903--4 numbered 739,000,
of whom 15,813 were in-patients. Nearly 54,000 persons were vac-
cinated in the same year.
Kathor.-Town in the Kamrej tdluha, Navsari print, Baroda State,
situated in 21° 17′ N. and 72° 59′ E., on the northern bank of the Tapti
river, about 22 miles from Navsari and io miles from Surat. Popu-
lation (1901), 4,407. The town possesses a Munsif's court, a dis-
pensary, vernacular schools, an industrial school, and public offices.
The place is remarkable for the number of Musalmans, of whom there
are no fewer than 2,444. They are chiefly Bohras of the Sunni persua-
sion ; and being people of great enterprise they repair in great numbers
to Mauritius, China, Natal, and other distant places, where they stay for
long periods, and return to Kathor after amassing sufficient wealth to
enable them to settle permanently at home. The principal articles of
trade in the town are grain, printed calicoes, and cotton cloth.
Kathiwara.-Thahurdt in the BHOPAWAR AGENCY, Central India.
Kathoria.-Bhamidt in the BHOPAWAR AGENCY, Central India.
Kathrota.-Petty State in KATHIAWAR, Bombay.
Kathua.-Overgrown village in the Jasrota district, Jammu pro-
vince, Kashmir, situated in 32° 22′ N. and 75° 32′ E., on the right
bank of the Ravi and between it and the Ujh river. Population (1goi),
5,8oi. Kathua possesses no points of interest. The buildings are
mean and dilapidated, and the place has no past and no future. The
climate is unhealthy, and the water-supply scanty and bad.
Kathumar.-Head-quarters of a tahsil of the same name in the
State of Alwar, Rajputana, situated in 27° 19′ N. and 77° 5′ E., about
35 miles south-east of Alwar city, and 9 miles north-east of Kherli
station on the Rajputana-Malwa Railway. The town is said to be Boo
years old; it possesses a fort, a post office, and a vernacular school.
The population in igoi was 3,388. The tahsil is situated in the south-
east of the State, and in igoi contained 78 villages, with a population
Of 41,152, of whom go per cent. were Hindus. Under Mughal rule it
was attached to the province of Agra, but, from its proximity to Jaipur,
was generally held as a fief by the Jaipur chief. From 1778 to 1784
the Mughals held direct possession, but in the latter year the Marathas
overran and occupied it. Their oppressions aroused the local popu-
lation, who invoked the aid of Maharao Raja Bakhtawar Singh about
1802. The latter sent a strong force, which expelled the Marathas and
occupied the fort of Kathumar ; but in 1803 the MarahhA troops, in