KHAIRAGARH TAHSIL 209
State, with the stations of Bortalao, Dongargarh, and Musra within its
limits. About 63 miles of embanked and 57 miles of unembanked
roads have been constructed, the most important being those from
Dongargarh through Khairâgarh to Kawardhâ, and from Khairâgarh
to Raj-Nândgaon. Exports of produce are taken to Raj-Nândgaon
and Dongargarh railway stations.
The total revenue of the State in 1904 was Rs. 3,03,ooo, Rs. 1,84,000
being realized from land revenue, Rs. 29,000 from forests, and Rs.
21,000 from excise. The incidence of land revenue is R. 0-10-5 per
occupied acre. A regular cadastral survey has been carried out, and
the method of assessment is that prescribed for British Districts. The
revenue is settled with the headmen of villages, who are allowed
a commission of 20 or 30 per cent. of the `assets,' but have no pro-
prietary rights. The rents of the cultivators are also fixed at settle-
ment. The expenditure in 1904 was Rs. 3,r8,ooo, the principal items
being Government tribute (Rs. 70,000), private expenses of the ruling
family (Rs. 9o,ooo), general administration (Rs. 21,000), public works
(RS. 2o,ooo), education (Rs. 9,ooo), and medical relief (Rs. 4,000).
Some arrears of tribute and Government loans were also repaid in that
year. In respect of tribute Khairâgarh was treated by the Marâthâs as
an ordinary estate, and the revenue was periodically raised on a scrutiny
of the I assets.' It is now fixed by Government for a term of years.
During the twelve years ending 1905 nearly 3-84 lakhs has been
expended on the improvement of communications and the erection
of public buildings. The State maintains 26 schools, including a high
school at Khairâgarh, middle schools at Khairâgarh, Dongargarh, and
Khamariâ, and a girls' school at Dongargarh, with a total of 1,931
pupils. At the Census of 1901 the number of persons returned as able
to read and write was 2,064, the proportion of male literates being 2•9
per cent. of the population. Dispensaries are maintained at Khairagarh
town and Dongargarh, in which 12,000 persons were treated in 1904.
Khairagarh Tahsil.-South-western tahsil of Agra District, United
Provinces, conterminous with the pargana of the same name, lying
between 26° 45′ and 27° 4′ N. and 77° 26′ and 78° 7′ E., with an area
of 309 square miles. Population increased from 123,893 in 1871 to
127,692 in igoi. There are 155 villages and one town, Jagnair
(population, 4,051). Khairâgarh, the tahsil head-quarters, is a small
village. The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was RS. 2,85,000,
and for cesses Rs. 35,ooo. The density of population, 413 persons
per square mile, is much below the District average. The tahsil is
divided into two portions by the Utangan. The tract south-west of
that river is a spur of British territory almost surrounded by the Native
States of I3haratpur and Dholpur, with a range of the Vindhyas along
the northern boundary and isolated hills scattered farther south.