348 primary, 8 secondary schools, and one special school in the District.
The number of female scholars was 2,395. The great majority of
the pupils under instruction were only in primary classes. Of the male
population of school-going age 28 per cent. were in the primary stage
of instruction, and of the female population of the same age 14 per
cent. The total expenditure on education was Rs. 1,21,000, of which
Rs. 7,000 was derived from fees; about 40 per. cent. of the direct
expenditure was devoted to primary schools.
The District possesses two hospitals and four dispensaries, with
accommodation for 23 in-patients. In 1904 the number of cases
treated was 25,000, of whom 200 were in-patients, and 500 operations
were performed. The expenditure was Rs. 1o,ooo, the greater part of
which was met from Provincial revenues.
Vaccination is compulsory only in Shillong town, and has been
somewhat neglected in the District. In 1903-4 only 28 per 1,ooo of
the population were protected, as compared with 44 per 1,ooo in
Assam as a whole.
[A. Mackenzie, History of the Relations of the Government with the
Hill Tribes of the North-East Frontier of Bengal (Calcutta, 1884) ;
W. ). Allen, Report on the Administration of the Cossyah and fynteah
Hill Territory (Calcutta, 1858); J. D. Hooker, Himalayan journals
(1854); B. C. Allen, District Gazetteer of the Khdsi and.jaintid Hills
(1906) ; Major P. R. 'I'. Gurdon, The Khasis (1907).
Khaspur.-Village in the Silchar subdivision of Cachâr District,
Eastern Bengal and Assam, situated in 24° 55′ N. and 92° 57′ E., near
the southern face of the Barail range. This was the capital of the
Rajas of Cachar from the beginning of the eighteenth century to the
death of the last Raja in 1830. While living here the Ktchâris came
under the influence of Hinduism, and in 1790 the Raja and his
brother entered the body of a copper image of a cow and emerged as
Kshattriyas. The only traces of the former capital are to be found
in the remains of four temples, two other buildings, and three tanks.
The village is no longer of any importance.
Khatao.-Tdluka of Sâtdra District, Bombay, lying between 17° 18′
and 17° 48′ N. and 74° 14′ and 74° 51′ E., with an area of 501 square
miles. There are 85 villages, but no town. The head-quarters are at
Vadüj. The population in 1901 was 96,416, compared with 95,223 in
189 r. The density, 241 persons per square mile, is almost equal to
the District average. The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was 14
lakhs, and for cesses Rs. r2,0o0 Khatao is a northerly continuation
of the Khânâpur plateau, and consists of the valley of the Yerla, which,
rising at the northern point of the tdluka, flows southward through it.
Of the two ranges of hills which enclose the valley, the western range is
the higher, while the eastern rises but little above the Khatao upland.