Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 15, p. 294.


Graphics file for this page
294 KHULNA SUBDIVISION
Khulnâ, Subdivision.-Head-quarters subdivision of Khulnâ Dis-
trict, Bengal, lying between 21° 41′ and 23° 1′ N. and 89° 14′ and
89° 45′ E., with an area of 649 square miles. The subdivision is an
alluvial tract, merging to the south in the Sundarbans ; the general
features are the same as in the lower delta through which the rivers of
Bengal find their way to the sea. Its population in igoi was 401,785,
compared with 341,493 1n 1891, the density being 619 persons per
square mile. It contains one town, KHULN.2i, its head-quarters (popu-
lation, 10,426) ; and 929 villages. Khulnâ town is the chief centre of
trade; but ALAIPUR, DAULATPUR, DUMRIA, PHULTALA, and KAPIL-
MUNi are also important marts.
Khulna. Town.-Head-quarters of Khulnâ District, Bengal, situated
in 22° 49′ N. and 89° 34′ E., at the point where the Bhairab river
meets the Sundarbans. Population 0901), 10,426. Khulnâ. may be
described as the capital of the Sundarbans, and has been for more than
a hundred years a place of commercial importance. It was the head-
quarters of the salt department during the period of the Company's salt
manufacture. It is the terminus of the central section of the Eastern
Bengal State Railway, and all the great river routes converge on the
town, it being connected by steamer with NARAYANGANJ, BARISAL,
MADARIPUR, Muhammadpur, and Binodpur. Rice, sugar, betel-nuts,
and coco-nuts, the produce of the vicinity, are collected here for export
to Calcutta, and the trade in salt is also large. Khulnâ was constituted
a municipality in 1884. The income during the decade ending
igoi-2 averaged Rs. 22,ooo, and the expenditure Rs. 2o,ooo. In
1903-4 the income was Rs. ig,ooo, including Rs. 4,6oo derived from
a tax on persons (or property tax), Rs. 3,500 from a tax on houses and
lands, and Rs. 4,6oo from a conservancy rate; and the expenditure
was Rs. 17,ooo. The municipality has recently undertaken a scheme
for improving the drainage. The town contains the usual civil, criminal,
and revenue courts, District jail, circuit-house, hospital, and schools.
The jail has accommodation for 49 prisoners; the principal industries
are oil-pressing, wheat-grinding, paddy-husking, mat-making, aloe-
pounding, and rope-making. The Woodburn Hospital was *com-
pleted in rgor at a cost of Rs. 18,ooo.
Khunti Subdivision.-South-eastern subdivision of Ranchi Dis-
trict, Bengal, lying between 22° 38′ and 23° 18′ N. and 84° 56′ and
85° 54′ E., with an area of 1,140 square miles. The subdivision,
which was created in 1905, is an elevated table-land; but to the south
the surface is broken and the undulating ridges and valleys give place
to steep hills and ravines, terminating in a comparatively open plain to
the south-east towards Manbhdm. It had a population in igoi of
225,407, compared with 198,730 in 18gi, the density being 198
persons per square mile. It contains one town, BUNDU (popula-
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html