DHURDA SUBDIVISION 295
tion, 5,469), and 599 villages, one of which, KHUNTI, is the head-
Khunti Village.-Head-quarters of the subdivision of the same
name in Ranch! District, Bengal, situated in 23° 5′ N. and 85° 16′ E.
Population (igoi), 1,446. It is a trade centre of some importance on
the road from Ranch! to Chaibasa.
Khurai Tahsil (Kurai).-North-western tahsil of Saugor District,
Central Provinces, lying between 23° 51′ and 24° 27′ N. and 78° 4′
and 78° 43′ E., with an area of goo square miles. The population
decreased from 126,004 in 1891 to 93,788 in igoi. The density in
the latter year was loo persons per square mile, which is below the
District average. The tahsil contains two towns, KHURA1 (population,
6,oî2), the head-quarters, and ETAWA (6,418); and 470 inhabited
villages. Excluding 124 square miles of Government forest, 45 per
cent. of the available area is occupied for cultivation. The cultivated
area in 1903-4 was 238 square miles. The demand for land revenue
in the same year was Rs. 77,ooo, and for cesses Rs. 8,ooo. The tahsil
is an open undulating plain, with a stretch of hilly and stony land in
the north, and belts of forest on the borders of the Bina and Betwa
Khurai Town.-Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same name in
Saugor District, Central Provinces, situated in 24° 3′ N. and 78° 20′ E.,
on the railway line towards Bina, 33 miles from Saugor town. Popu-
lation (igoi), 6,012. An old fort is now used as the tahsil office.
Khurai contains a considerable colony of Jains and a number of fine
Jain temples. It was created a municipality in 1867. The municipal
receipts during the decade ending igoi averaged Rs. 15,300. In
1903-4 the receipts were Rs. 8,ooo, mainly derived from fees on the
registration of cattle. The town is a collecting centre for local trade.
A large weekly cattle market is held here, and dried meat is prepared
for export to Burma. Khurai contains an English middle school, two
branch and two girls' schools, one of which is supported by the
Swedish Lutheran Mission, and a dispensary.
Khurda Subdivision.-Western subdivision of Puri District, Ben-
gal, lying between 19° 41′ and 20° 26′ N. and 84° 56′ and 85° 53′ E.,
with an area of 971 square miles. The population in igoi was
359,236, compared with 331,423 in i8gi, the density being 370
persons per square mile. The subdivision adjoins the south-
eastern fringe of the Chota Nagpur plateau, and detached hills of
gneiss occur, the plains between them consisting of laterite and
alluvium. It contains 1,212 villages, one of which, KHURnn, is its
head-quarters ; but no town. At BHUBANESWAR are situated the cele-
brated Linga.râj temple and numerous other temples, and the KHAND-
GiRi and Udayagiri hills contain many caves and rock temples.