liable at any time to be dispossessed, though they are rarely evicted.
The land revenue is generally paid in kind, the Darbār's share vary-
ing from one-fourth to one-third of the produce. In some parts, how-
ever, and in the case of such crops as cotton, poppy, maize, tobacco,
and spices, the revenue is collected in cash, the rates varying from
Rs. 6 to Rs. 18 per acre. Special concessions are made to those
who bring new land under cultivation or sink new wells ; they pay
the Darbar one-ninth, or sometimes one-eleventh, of the gross pro-
duce the first year, one-eighth or one-tenth in the second year, and
so on till the usual one-third is reached.
The military force consists of 22o regulars (84 cavalry and 136
infantry) and 1,739 irregulars (836 cavalry and 903 infantry). The
irregular cavalry are supplied by the jdgirddrs. There are 65 guns,
serviceable and unserviceable, and 35 artillerymen.
Police duties are performed by a force of 511 of all ranks, in-
eluding 187 Rājput sepoys from the irregular infantry, and 91 village
chaukiddrs. There are nine police stations and numerous outposts,
the latter being mostly manned by the jdgir militia. Besides the
Central jail and a small prison for persons under trial at the capital,
there are three district jails-at Arain, Rfipnagar, and Sarwār-in
which persons sentenced to one month or less are confined. These
five jails have accommodation altogether for 153 prisoners.
In the literacy of its population Kishangarh stands fourth among
the twenty States and chiefships of Rājputdna, with 4.6 per cent.
(8*4 males and 04 females) able to read and write. There are now
29 educational institutions in the State, attended by about 1,ooo
pupils, of whom 7o are girls. Of these schools, 17 are maintained
by the Darbar at a cost of about Rs. 6,5oo a year, 2 by the United
Free Church of Scotland Mission, and the rest by private individuals.
The only secondary school is the Maharaja's high school at the
capital. An education cess calculated at r per cent. of the land
revenue has been imposed since 1902.
The State possesses one hospital and three dispensaries ; and in
1904 the number of cases treated was 25,584, of whom 95 were
in-patients, and 655 operations were performed. The total expendi-
ture was about Rs. 5,000.
Vaccination is backward. In 1904-5 the number of persons
successfully vaccinated was 1,88o, or about 21 per r,ooo of the
Kishangarh Town.-Capital of the State of the same name in
Rajputana, situated in 26° 34′ N. and 74° 53′ E., on the Rajputana-
Malwa Railway, about 18 miles north-east of Ajmer city, and 257
miles south-west of Delhi. It takes its name from Kishan Singh,
the first chief, who founded it in 1611. Population (rgor), 12,663-