State, with an area of 211 square miles and population in 190T Of
62,091, including jdgirs, compared with 67,983 in 1891. It had
three towns, KODANGAL (population, 5,099), the head-quarters, TnNDŰ1i
(59939), and KOSGI (8,228); and 95 villages, of which 35 are jkgir.
The land revenue in 19or was r•r lakhs. In 1905 the hiluk was
enlarged by the addition Of 59 villages from Gurmatkal and 15 from.
Koilkonda in Mahbübnagar, while it lost 21 villages to Chincholi.
Rice is grown largely by tank-irrigation. The two jczgir tâluks, Tandfir
and Kosgi, with 62 and 1 r villages, and 23,725 and 15,344 inhabitants
respectively, lie to the north and south-east. Tandűr and Kosgi are
their head-quarter towns, while their areas are 202 and 25 square miles
Kodangal Town.-Head-quarters of the tjluk of the same name
in Gulbarga District, Hyderdbad State, situated in 17° 7′ N. and
77° 38′ E., 12 miles south of Tandfir station on the Niiam's State
Railway. Population (1901), 5,099. Besides the tahsil office, the
office of the police inspector, a Idluk post office, and a vernacular upper
primary school with 232 pupils are located here. Kodangal has a
mosque said to be 300 years old.
Kodangibetta (` Elk hill').-Peak in the east of the Yedenalknad
tâluk of Coorg, Southern India, situated in 12° 16′ N. and 75° 58′ E.
Kodaung-A hilly tract in the north-east of the M6ngmit State, at
present administered by a civil officer under the control of the Deputy-
Commissioner as a township of the Ruby Mines District, Upper Burma.
It lies between 23° 5′ and 23° 49′ N. and 96° 49′ and 97° 38′ E., with
an area of 760 square miles. It is a mass of hills rising in places to
a height of 7,000 feet above the sea ; but though the country is rugged
communications are fairly good, for there are usually mule-tracks con
necting the villages. At one time Kodaung was entirely populated by
Palaungs ; but the Kachins began to oust these hill people about a
hundred years ago, and of the total population (22,127) in rgo1 half
were Kachins and half Palaungs. There are 303 villages, the head-
quarters being at Molo, on the Shweli. The law in force is that of the
Kachin Hill Tribes Regulation, 1895.
Kodinar.-Head-quarters of the hiluka of the same name, Amreli
print, Baroda State, situated in 20° 47′ N. and 70° 42′ E. Population
(rgol), 6,664. It is a walled town, pleasantly situated on the south
bank of the Singavada river, about 3 miles from the sea. It is admin-
istered by a municipality, which receives an annual grant from the State
of Rs. 1,400; and it possesses Munsif's and magistrate's courts, a dis-
pensary, a vernacular school, and public offices. Trade is carried on
by sea with Bombay, Karachi, Porbandar, and Mangrol, the principal
exports being cotton, grain, and ghi. The imports are wheat, jozeuir,
clothes, spices, and dry goods.