Kollegal Taluk.-Northern subdivision and tdluk of Coimbatore
District, Madras, lying between 11° 46′ and 12° 18′ N. and 76° 59′ and
77° 47′ E., with an area of 1,076 square miles. The Cauvery river
bounds it on three sides, forming at its north-west angle the famous
Sivasamudram island and Falls. The population in rgol was 96,563,
compared with 88,533 in 1891. There are 122 villages, and only one
town, KOLLi3,GAL (population, 13,729), the head-quarters. The demand
for land revenue and cesses in 1903-4 amounted to Rs. 1,16,ooo.
Kollegāl is the most sparsely peopled tdluk in the District, its popula-
tion, which is mainly Kanarese as in the adjoining State of Mysore,
numbering only go persons per square mile, while the average for the
District is 280. Unlike the rest of Coimbatore, Kollegal benefits
considerably from the south-west monsoon, and its annual rainfall
(35 inches) is the heaviest in the District. The southernmost spurs
of the Eastern Ghāts run through it, forming on the west a well-
marked minor range called the Biligiri-Rangan hills; and it is on a
higher level than the remainder of the District and really forms part
of the adjoining Mysore plateau, the climate and temperature of which
it shares. More than half of the tdluk consists of ` reserved' forest ;
but this is chiefly useful as a grazing ground for cattle, for the Kollegal
ryot is more often a raiser of stock than a cultivator of arable land.
The well-known Alambadi breed of draught-cattle comes from here.
Kollegal Town.-Head-quarters of the tdluk of the same name
in Coimbatore District, Madras, situated in 12° 10′ N. and 77° 7′ E.,
in the extreme north-west corner of the District. Population (lgoi),
13,729. It is well-known for its gold-laced cloths and kerchiefs.
Some of the silk cloths made here cost as much as Rs. 300 each, or
even more, according to the quantity and quality of the gold and silver
embroidery, which, in the highest priced cloths, is woven in intricate
and elegant designs into the texture of the cloth while still on the loom.
Kollern.--Lake in Kistna District, Madras. See COLAIR.
Komulmair.-Fort in Udaipur State, Rājputāna. See KUMBHAL-
Konarak. - Ruined temple in the head-quarters subdivision of
Puri District, Bengal, situated in 19° 53′ N. and 86° 6′ E., about 1 z
miles from the sea and 21 miles east of Pur-1 town. The temple was
built and dedicated to the Sun-god by Narasingha Deva I of the
Ganga dynasty of Orissa, who ruled from 1238 to 1264. Konākona
appears to have been the ancient name, and the modern name thus
stands for Konarka, meaning `the arka (Sun-god) at Kona.' It con-
sisted of a tower, probably a little over 180 feet in height, and of a porch
or mandap in front of it, about 140 feet high. The principal gate was
to the east, and was flanked by the figures of two lions, mounted upon
elephants. The northern and southern gates were sculptured with the