a dispensary, and a branch of the American Methodist Mission. It
is administered under Act XX of 1856, with an income of about
Kotebetta.-Mountain in Coorg, Southern India, about 9 miles '
north of Mercāra,,5,375 feet high. Its base covers a large extent of
country. The summit is divided into two peaks, one rather pointed,
the Harangalbetta, and the other broad, forming a flat table-land.
Kotgarh.-Pargana in the sub-tahsil of KOTKHAi-026972-KOTGARH,
Simla District, Punjab.
KothAria.--Chief town of an estate of the same name in the State
of Udaipur, Rājputând, situated in 24° 58' N. and 73° 52` E., on the
right bank of the Banas, about 30 miles north-east of Udaipur city. Popu .
-lation (igoi), x,586: The estate, which consists of 81 villages, is held
by one of the first-class nobles of Mewār, who is styled Rāwat and is
-a Chauhan Rājput. The founder of the Kothāria family was Manik
.Chand, who fought for Ranā Sangrām Singh against Bābar in 1527:
,The income of the estate is about Rs. 32,ooo, and a tribute of Rs. i, Zoo
is :paid to the Darbār.
'Kothitria.-Petty State in KnTHI~w!R, Bombay.
Kothi.--Petty sanad State in Central India, under the Political
Agent in Baghelkhand, with an area of about 169 square miles,
surrounding the town of the same name. The chief is a Baghel
Râjput, one, Jagat Raj Singh Baghel having driven out he original
Bhar chief and founded the jāgir. When the Bundelās rose to power
in the eighteenth century under Chhatarsāl, the Kothi chiefs became .
tributary to Panna, but maintained their independence throughout the
domination of Ali 'Bahādur. On the establishment of British supro-
macy Kothi was held to be subordinate to Pannâ, and was originally
described. as such in the sanad granted to the Parma chief in r8o7.
-In, view, however, of the continued independence of the estate, a fresh
sanad was granted in 18 o to Rais Lāl Duniya-pati Singh, making him
directly dependent on the British Government: An adoption sanad
was granted him in x862. In recognition of his loyalty, public spirit,
and benevolence, the title of Rājâ Bahadur was granted in 1878, as
an hereditary distinction, to'Rao Bahādur Singh. The present chief is ,'
Rājā Bahādur Avadhendra Singh, who succeeded in 1895.
The population has been: (188x) 11,368, (1891) 22,656, and (igor)
'19,112, or 113 persons per square mile. Hindus number 15,939, or
83 per cent.; and Animists (chiefly Gonds), 2,864, or; i5 per cent.
There are 75 villages.
The soil of the State is fairly fertile, and produces good crops of all
the ordinary grains. Of the total area, 58 square miles, or 34 per cent,,
are cultivated; 2 2 square miles are cultivable but not cultivated alid
the rest° is- jungle and waste. The total revenue is Rs. 26,ooo, -of