KV.4ITA TO WY
in its vicinity, and on both occasions it was burned down by some of
the irregulars. Its trade consists chiefly of cotton, spices, and grain,
the first coming from Dharwar District and the rest from the upland
country of North Kanara. The only manufacture is the carving of
a few articles of sandal-wood, which are exported to Bombay. Kumta
port is one of the seven ports which make up the Honavar Customs
division. The trade is valued at 38 lakhs : namely, imports 12 lakhs,
and exports 26 lakhs.
Miinch Tahsil.-Western tahsil of Jalaun District, United Provinces,
comprising the pargana of Kūnch and part of Madhogarh, and- lying
along the Pahūj river, between 25° 51' and 26' 15' N. and 78° 56'
and 79° 18' E., with an area of 338 square miles., Population increased
from 102,8īt5 in 18gi to 104,588 in 1901. There are 197 villages and
one town, Xi7NCx (population, 15,888). The demand for land revenue
in 1903-4 was Rs. 3,07,ooo, and for cesses Rs. 50,000. The density
of population, 309 persons per square mile, is considerably above the
District average. In the east- is.-one of the richest areas of the black
soil called mdr to be found-in Bundelkhand. It suffered from rust in
1894 and 1895, and -subsequently from famine, but has not, been
overgrown by kdns (Saccharum spontaneum). West of the mde the
soil becomes lighter as the ravines of the Pahłj are approached, and
this tract is irrigated by the Kuthaund branch of the Betwā Canal.
In 19oo-1 the area under cultivation was 234 square miles, of which
i r were irrigated.
Kūnch Town (Konch).--Head-quarters of the talhsil of the same
name in Jalaun District, United Provinces, situated in 2'50 59' N. and
79° 1o' E., on a branch- of the Great Indian Peninsula Railway.
Population (1901), 15,888. Kūnch was the head-quarters of a mahdl
or pargana under Akbar. In 1804 the commander - of the British
troops in Bundelkhand dispatched a force to reduce the fort of Amanta
Malaya, five miles from Ktlnch. Amir Khan, the Pindāri, came to
the rescue of the garrison, and the British bad to retire to Kūnch after
losing heavily. The Pindaris subsequently overpowered a small detach-
ment of reinforcements at Kalp!, but their forces were entirely broken
and dispersed by the British troops a month later. During the Mutiny
Kūnch was several times occupied by the rebel troops. The town
consists. of a business quarter in the east, and a quiet, scattered country
village to the west. The latter contains the high site of an old ruined
mud fort, on which the tahsili and police station now stand. The'
former is adorned by a large tank constructed in the eighteenth century;
and has been much improved during the last thirty years. A new
bazar has been built, and a large enclosure has been made, to which
goods may be brought free of octroi. The chief public buildings are
the dispensary and tahsili school. Kūnch- has been a municipality