and the view from their tops across the Bhavani and westwards to the
heavy forest of the Attapadi volley is one of the finest in Southern
Kundapur.-Subdivision, tąluk, and village in South Kanara Dis-
trict, Madras. See COONDAPOOR.
Kundgol. Ifead-quarters of the Wuka of the same name in
Jamkhandi State, Bombay, situated in 15° 15' N. and 75°. i8' E..
Population (rgor), 2,286. It is administered as a municipality, with an
income in 1903-4 of Rs. 3,000. The town contains a dispensary. The
chief local trade is in cotton.
Kūndian.-Village in: the Rāsmi zila of the State of Udaipur,
Rajputana, situated in 25° 2' N. and 74° ig' E., on the right bank
of the Bands river, about 50 miles north-east of Udaipur city. Popula
tion (r9oi), 564. Here are many temples; and the pool called Matri
Kłndian is celebrated, as it is said that the sins of Parasu Rama, the
would-be matricide, were washed away on his bathing in its waters.
A fair, lasting for three days, is held in May and is largely attended
by pilgrims who bathe in the pool.
Kuagyangon.-Southern township of Hanthawaddy District, Lower
Burma, lying'between 16° ig' and 16° 40'N. and 95° 5o' and 96° 2o' E.,
with an area of 453 square miles. The township is flat and fertile. It
contains 263 villages. The population was 63,585 in 18gr and 71,017
in 1gor. The head-quarters are at the village of Kungyangon (popula-
tion, 2,789), on the Tawpalwe stream, 5 miles from its mouth. The
area cultivated in 1903-4 was 267 square miles, paying Rs. 5;25,000
Kunigal.-South-eastern tāluk of Tumkūr District, Mysore, lying
between 12° 45' and 13° 8' N. and 76° 5o' and 77° 1o' E., within area
Of 382 square miles. The population in 1go1 was 77,861, compared
with 66,502 in 1891. The tāluk contains two towns, Kunigal (popula-
tion, 1,802), the head-quarters, and Huliyūrdurga (r,746); and 315
villages. The land revenue demand in 1903-4 was Rs. 1;32,ooo. The
Shimsha flows along the western and part of the southern border,
receiving the Nagani from the large tank at Kunigal. The south-east
is occupied by the great hill range running north up to Maddagiri.
Round Huliyūrdurga (3,086 feet), and from there to Hutridurga
(3,713 feet) and Kunigal, the country is very hilly and jungly, with
rocky and barren ground. In the north and west the soil is fertile and
well cultivated. The old name, in the ninth century, under the
Rashtrakgtas, was Kuningil.
Kunihār.-One of the Simla Hill States, Punjab, lying between
31° 3' and 31° 7' N. and 76° 59' and 77° 3' E., about 15 miles.west of
Simla station, with an area of 8o square miles. Population (rgot),
2,168. It was founded by a family of Raghubansi Rdjputs from Ąknūr