in Jammu. The -present chief, Thąkur Hardeo Singh, is a minor,.and
the administration is conducted by a council. The revenue is Rs. 4,000;
out of which Rs. 180 is paid as tribute.
Kunjfih.-Town in the District and tahsil of Gujrāt, Punjab,
situated in 32° 32' N. and 73° 59' E., 7 miles west of Gujrąt town.'
Population (rgo1), 6,431. It was for some time the residence of
Diwan Kirpa Ram, governor of Kashmir in the time of Ranjit Singh.
The municipality was created in x874. The income during the ten
years ending 1902-3 averaged Rs. 2,4oo, and the expenditure RS. 2,300.'
In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 3,000, chiefly derived from octroi; and,
the expenditure was Rs. 2,5oo. The town has a vernacular middle
school maintained by the District board, and a dispensary. It is of no
Kunjpura (` the heron's nest').-An estate in the District and tahsit
of Karnal, Punjab, founded by Najabat Khan, a Ghorgasht Pathan and
soldier of fortune under the Mughal emperors. Najabat Khan built
a stronghold in the marshes of the Jumna early in the eighteenth
century, and then revolted against the imperial government. Siding
with Nadir Shah in 1739, Najabat'Khan was recognized by him as chief
of Kunjpura and held it till he was killed in 1760, when the Marāthās
razed his stronghold to the ground. His son, Diler Khan, 'received
large grants of territory from the Durrānis, but he and- his 'successor
were driven out of their lands-west of the Jumna by the Raja of Jind
and other Sikh chiefs. In x787, however, Sindhia expelled the Jind
Raja from Karnal, and -ten years later General Perron recognized
Gulsher Khan as Nawāb of Kunjpura. His son, Rahmat Khan, allied
himself to Lord Lake in i8or, and in 1811 was recognized as a pro-
tected chief by the British Government. In 1846 the Nawab of Kunj-
pura lost his sovereign powers, and the history of the family has since
been one of incessant litigation. The present Nawąb succeeded in
1886. He holds a jdgzr of 38 villages with a revenue of Rs. 3 r,0go,
besides which his estate yields an income of nearly Rs. 32,000.
Kunnamkulam.-Town in the Talapilli induk of Cochin State,
Madras, situated in 10° 39' N. and 76° ,4' E. Population (1901),
7,r94, of whom 63 per cent. are Christians, chiefly Jacobite Syrians.
There are several Syrian churches in Kunnamkulam and its neighbour-
hood, and it is also one of the centres of the Church Missionary
Society's work in Cochin. It contains a sub-magistratč's court, a lower
secondary school, and a, Jacobite Syrian high school, and has. some
trade in areca-nuts and other local produce.
Kurā.bar.-Chief town of an estate of the same name in the State
of Udaipur, Rajputana, situated in 24° 27' N. and 73° 59' E., on the
left bank of a stream called the Godi, about 29 miles south-east of
Udaipur city. Population (1901), 1,763. The estate, which consists
. VOL. XV1. C