being 264 persons per square mile. The subdivision contains two
distinct' tracts, the northern resembling the adjoining portion of the
Darjeeling subdivision, and consisting of great mountain ridges and
valleys, while the Siliguri thâna lies in the plains and is 'a level sub-
montane strip of country. After Kurseong the most important places
in thesubdivision are SILIGURI, the junction of the northern section of
the Eastern Bengal State and the Darjeeling-Himalayan Railways
TINDHARIA,. Where the workshops of the latter railway are situated; and
the large marts of Matigara and Naksalbari in the tarai.
Kurseong Town (Karsh7ng).--Head-quarters of the subdivision of
the same name in Darjeeling District, Bengal, situated in z6° 53' N.
and 88' WE, on the Lower Himalayas, 4,860 feet above the sea,
about 20 miles south of Darjeeling. Population (1001), 4,469. Kur-
seong is, like Darjeeling,' a hill station, but does not enjoy the same
reputation as a sanitarium. The town is situated on the Darjeeling
Himalayan Railway and is a centre of the tea trade. It was consti-
tuted a municipality in 1879. The income during the decade ending
1901-2 averaged Rs. 1o,ooo, and the expenditure Rs.9,6oo. In
1903-4 the' income was Rs. 14,000, of which Rs. 9,ooo was :derived
from a tax on houses and lands and Rs. 3,000 from a.conservancy rate;
the expenditure in the same year was also Rs. 14,000. Unfiltered'
water is supplied from a municipal reservoir, which is fed by springs..
The town contains the usual public offices, including a sub-jail with
accommodation for 24 prisoners, and a dispensary with 16 beds. The
principal educational institutions are for the benefit of Europeans and
Eurasians: namely, the Victoria boys' school founded' in 1879, with
180 boys in r903-4; and the Dow Hill girls' school founded in 1898
and having 76 girls on its rolls in 1903--4, both of which are aided by
Kurtkoti.-Village in the Gad'ag tâtuha of Dharwar District; Bombay,
situated in 150 22' N. and 75° 31' E., 25 miles east of Hubli. Popu-
lation (1901),- 5,247. It contains four temples. with inscriptions, dated
from the eleventh to the thirteenth century, and a school.
Kurukshetra.-A sacred tract of the Hindus, lying between 29° 15'
and 3o° N. and 76° 2o' and 77° E.; in the Karnal District and the Jind
State of the Punjab. According to the Mahabhârata, which contains
the oldest account of the tract, it lay between the Saraswati and
Drishadwati (now the Rakshi), being watered by seven or nine streams;
including' these two. It was also divided into seven or nine bans or
forests. The circuit of Kurukshetra probably did not exceed 160 miles
and, it formed an irregular quadrilateral, its northern side extending from
Ber *at the junction of the Saraswati and Ghaggar to Thanesar, and its
southern from Sinkh, south of Safidon, to Ram Rai, southwest of Jind.
Thé name, ° the field of Kuru,' is derived from Kuru, the ancestor of